Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did you make a yeast starter?
Why did you add sugar?
I've had yeast packets in the past that were not viable and it was 2-3 days before I knew no fermentation was going on. With the yeast starter I know within hours and the yeast colony has a jump start.
The kit potential alcohol was around 10%.. I bumped it to over 12%. If I wanted anything under 10% I'd just have a beer. I researched Italian style pinot grigio and most describe abv 12-13%.

I've had yeast packets in the past that were not viable and it was 2-3 days before I knew no fermentation was going on. With the yeast starter I know within hours and the yeast colony has a jump start.
The kit potential alcohol was around 10%.. I bumped it to over 12%. If I wanted anything under 10% I'd just have a beer. I researched Italian style pinot grigio and most describe abv 12-13%.
Usually useing simple syrup 2 quarts in the primary will get you there .
However reducing the water level to 5.5 would do the same effect without changing the structure , because it’s a concentrated you can do this. Fact .

Usually useing simple syrup 2 quarts in the primary will get you there .
However reducing the water level to 5.5 would do the same effect without changing the structure , because it’s a concentrated you can do this. Fact .
I do make a syrup before adding to the must. I don't doubt that reducing the volume will also increase the potential alcohol. It also leaves too much head space in my 6gal carboy. I'm not inclined to top up with that much store bought wine. I have purchased a 5gal so moving forward I'll have that option. Thank you for your input. I appreciate that there is a place to seek advice from more experienced winemakers.

Head space can be controlled with understanding the how to recognize the pressure inside verse’s pressure outside the carboy .
Timing is everything in wine making , you have the control over the process , racking down is always a good idea .
I’ve never topped up , I have control of the process ..keep your eye on the bubbler it tells the story

Attachments

• IMG_1928.jpeg
    IMG_1928.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back