What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you made a choice? and will this be on the deck? or does it need to be portable and put up in winter? I bought a Nexgrill from HD several years ago. Because I am cheap, I waited for sales (Memorial Day is around the corner) and special financing offer ($75.00 off anything over $150), then used my military discount. total out the door was under $200. Don't know what they have as of 2024, but I would look around. After a few years the burners, shields, etc have become burned out. I bought on Amazon Stainless parts, grates, etc for ~$50.00. A great upgrade as the grates are very easy to clean. As for the grill mats, they are great to use. I have even used them to make pancakes! and great for soft items.

My son has a Traeger pellet smoker. It's great for long overnight smokes as it's a set-it-and-forget-it smoker. However, IMO, the smoke flavor is not as good as what you get with a traditional charcoal or wood smoker. A little less flavor, but a lot less work!!!
I have a pellet smoker and I agree about the smoke, however i have discovered that one can use wood chips in my pellet grill if the chips are smallish and pass through the auger. It improved the smoke flavor greatly! Last brisket was much better using the chips and pellets together. good smoke ring.

Have you made a choice? and will this be on the deck? or does it need to be portable and put up in winter? I bought a Nexgrill from HD several years ago. Because I am cheap, I waited for sales (Memorial Day is around the corner) and special financing offer ($75.00 off anything over $150), then used my military discount. total out the door was under $200. Don't know what they have as of 2024, but I would look around. After a few years the burners, shields, etc have become burned out. I bought on Amazon Stainless parts, grates, etc for ~$50.00. A great upgrade as the grates are very easy to clean. As for the grill mats, they are great to use. I have even used them to make pancakes! and great for soft items.
Thank you for your input. I had a Nexgrill, also from HD and it was great. I sold it (really gave away for $100) when we were contemplating moving to Florida. I would have no problem buying another Nexgrill. That is what I am leaning toward at this point. I think I will get one of them and try the grill mats. I may or may not buy one of the flat surfaces that fit on top of the grill. I have fairly well decided against the flat top gas griddle due to its lack of versatility.

Thank you for your input. I had a Nexgrill, also from HD and it was great. I sold it (really gave away for $100) when we were contemplating moving to Florida. I would have no problem buying another Nexgrill. That is what I am leaning toward at this point. I think I will get one of them and try the grill mats. I may or may not buy one of the flat surfaces that fit on top of the grill. I have fairly well decided against the flat top gas griddle due to its lack of versatility.
Not intending to respark the comments here. I just wanted to add that grills and griddles are 2 completely different things and you wouldn't be happy with just a griddle. I have something similar to this, and you would be surprised how useful it is. I cover it with foil and cook salmon skin down. The skin gets crispy and sticks to the foil, to serve I just remove the filet sans skin. The flavor is great.

Burgers turn out great on it. Bacon for those burgers. With a big enough grill you can griddle and bb at the same time. The griddle accessory makes you bbq more useful, where a griddle would just make you bbq-less.

1715973219323.png

I'm a Weber guy, through and through (have 4 of them), but they are expensive new. However, two of mine I bought on Craigslist. Especially this time of year, there are a lot to be had out there with people moving, looking to upgrade, etc. You can go used and let the original owner pay for all that depreciation. :D While new Webers are very expensive, they are made pretty well, parts are easy to come by, and their customer service is excellent. Buying used and then updating the guts can be a simple and VERY economical way to get a great grill for not a lot of money. Plus, it's a fun little project.
Done that a couple of times with good results. Although I can’t say cleaning someone else’s grease is fun. Almost always Webers for me too. My current daily griller I did buy new though and it is a Weber. I don’t care for bells a whistles either but will spend for good quality.

Latest posts

Back