What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
congratulations! Grenache may = strawberry.
Thanks!

We bottled 3 different Grenache last fall:

Melange de style Rhone (75% Grenache, 25% Rhone blend)
100% Grenache
FWK Tavola Merlot kit fermented with Grenache pomace

The last one has a strong strawberry flavor. The others are different. Not what I expected, but all 3 are good.

Pinnacle of Sirah 2020-2021

6 blended vinifera all hand destemmed and fermented uncrushed with RC212 yeast. I grow Regent. The rest were purchased in boxes. The Mettler were too high in sugar but tasted and smelled really good. Dineen and Sheridan are neighbours in Washington. First column is lbs, 2nd column is % of the blend, 3rd column is juice SG, 4th column is juice acid and last column is alcohol level. I opened 1 and have 8 left to age.

Comments:

Colour: purple ink

Smell: coffee, cocoa, black licorice, five spice, plums

Tannin: high but fine with tannin in the aftertase

Acid: good, matches the tannin

Flavour: intense, rich, balanced, needs lots of time e.g. 5+ years to mellow the tannins and develop a bottle bouquet. This had medium toast American oak cubes added during malolactic fermentation.

Finish: long and intense

I'll rebottle 1/2 of this in a split (13 oz) and taste it again in a years time. Pinnacle is the shorthand that I use for wines containing 2 or more Cabernets.

Pinnacle of Sirah 2020-21
Dineen Cabernet Sauvignon
97.7​
19.1%
1.100​
0.80​
13.3​
Sheridan Syrah
48.0​
9.4%
1.114​
0.70​
15.6​
Amador Cabernet Sauvignon
21.7​
4.2%1.1070.70
14.5​
Dineen Cabernet Franc
61.0​
11.9%
1.100​
0.75​
13.3​
Mettler Petite Sirah
216.0​
42.2%
1.120​
0.70​
16.6​
Regent
68.0​
13.3%1.0820.85
10.6​
512.4​
100.0%1.1080.74
14.6​

Retaste:

Colour: purple ink

Smell: coffee, cocoa, black licorice, five spice, plums, blackberries

Tannin: high but fine with skin tannins in the aftertaste. This should age for a long time.

Acid: good, matches the tannin

Flavour: intense, rich, balanced, needs lots of time e.g. 5+ years to mellow the tannins and develop a bottle bouquet. This had medium toast American oak cubes added during malolactic fermentation.

Finish: long and intense.

This is Lodi Mettler Vineyard Amarone style super high brix Petite Sirah in perfect condition but slightly over-ripe blended with Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon to drop the alcohol . This is very rich and tasty. I have 3 left and will try to open 1 every 2 years for 6 years. The Petite Sirah is dominant.

I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this. I have a theory that lots of people who say they can taste lots of different things in wine are just repeating, or have been pre-influenced by what they read on the back label.
I watched a video of a wine taster? Tasting a wine at a show in Germany. The grower started to tell the man what he would find in the wine. The taster held up his hand and said, "I don't want to you to tell me what this wine tastes like, I will tell YOU!" :D
I'm not knocking anyone, just overthinking I guess.:h

I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this. I have a theory that lots of people who say they can taste lots of different things in wine are just repeating, or have been pre-influenced by what they read on the back label.
I watched a video of a wine taster? Tasting a wine at a show in Germany. The grower started to tell the man what he would find in the wine. The taster held up his hand and said, "I don't want to you to tell me what this wine tastes like, I will tell YOU!" :D
I'm not knocking anyone, just overthinking I guess.:h

I think some people can taste a certain flavor but can’t describe what it is. I like to look up the flavors of a varietal to see if I can identify those flavors. Would you call that repeating or being educated?

I think some people can taste a certain flavor but can’t describe what it is. I like to look up the flavors of a varietal to see if I can identify those flavors. Would you call that repeating or being educated?
Nowt wrong with that, I do the same myself. I suppose what I was really thinking was, would you be able to sniff the flavours if you didn't look?
Daft thinking probably on my part, as flavours are very hard to describe! :slp
Doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy the wine.

I do the same thing -- I can taste something but have NO idea how to describe it. Looking at a list for a varietal helps a lot. Leather was a hard one for me.

Nowt wrong with that, I do the same myself. I suppose what I was really thinking was, would you be able to sniff the flavours if you didn't look?
I can smell the aromas and taste the flavors. It's explaining it to someone else that can be difficult.

A lot of this is taking the time to consider what we're drinking. Simply slurp down a glass of wine, and most of a given type taste pretty much alike.

Slow down. Swirl the glass and sniff it. Take a sip, swirl it around your mouth, hitting all the parts of the mouth. Suck in a bit of air. Then swallow. It's a sensory experience. Tannin, acid, and various flavors appear that don't when simply slurping down a beverage.

Many moons ago I was told to try Cognac, so I bought a cheap bottle. Complete waste of money, as it tasted like much less expensive CA brandy. That turned me completely off Cognac.

About 10 years ago I tried again, this time with a higher end bottle. WOW! Totally different experience. Since then I've had a dozen higher end Cognacs, and all are different. All are not necessarily worth the price, but they stand out from each other.

Ditto with Scotch, Irish whiskey, bourbon, tequila, etc. I buy lower end bottles for mixing, and anything higher end I drink straight, to enjoy what makes that particular liquor distinct.

I have a bottle of Scotch from Islay. REALLY peaty. I can sniff the glass an hour after finishing the Scotch and the smell makes me taste is again.

My bucket list includes taking a sommelier class. Maybe in retirement… Not because I want to tell people what wine they will like but to have a better vocabulary to describe the wine I like.
I did exactly that. What it taught me was there is a lot to wine and a better idea of how to make it. It taught me to tinker before, during and especially after. I never take what it gives me, I tell it what to do. If it's not where I want, I now know how or what to add to change that. Seldom do I throw a wine out. Someone gave me a Pinot Grigio kit that was really old, already brown. Most would throw it out but not me. Nothing invested, no great expectations. Made the kit and put it in a very large carboy with paper towel over the top. May be an acceptable sherry.
It has changed the way I cook. If it's not the way I want, then I change it, and maybe again if needed. Your pantry is your spice rack and you need your own spice rack for wine too. One thing I looked into was post fermentation additions of syrups. The Syrian and Lebanese stores have cordial syrups with, dates, pomegranates, blackberries and more. And they are dirt cheap, like me. You can make summer sippers or full bodied wines from these, but don't add K meta before fermentation as they may already been slightly preserved. Date syrup makes great full bodied sherry or drink it in the morning with a tablespoon in 3/4 litre of cold water. Asian markets have dried elderflower, hibiscus, lemon balm and tons more things to try or add to your spice rack. Sky is the limit. Tinker, tamper and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back