Beginner Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Absolute beginner here jumping into the deep end. We bought our first home last fall complete with a plum and apple tree.
While the apple tree is not doing so hot thanks to the humid summer we've had here, the plum tree went absolutely wild. As a last-second moment of panic trying to think what to do with so much fruit, I realized I could make a decent wine with what I've got on hand! After multiple kijiji runs, and some equipment and advice from my uncle who used to make wine for years, I'm ready to get started.

From my own cruising of forums and youtube tutorials, I've got the basics down. Any advice on what to do/watch out for in my first attempts? Any help is greatly appreciated.

When asking questions please have as much information on hand before posting. Do you have an hydrometer? What is the starting specific gravity? what is it now? Temperatures, then and now. I hope to get your mind wrapped around what to look for and when. It has taken me years to think properly without the help of WMT. May this forum help you.

Welcome to WMT!

First advice? Patience, Grasshopper. With very few exceptions, winemaking is a procrastinator's hobby.

Second advice? Ask questions before doing -- it's far easier to point you toward a good path than to fix a problem. Post your recipe/method for comment before starting.

Freezing fruit breaks down the structure and helps with extraction. Just as importantly, it gives you time to ask questions.

Harvest fruits when fully ripe, hopefully no pesticide or herbicides were used. freeze fruits and keep collecting when you have at least 20 pounds frozen make wine. remove pits. I use a blender and pulse blend. but others mash. them.

you'll need hydrometer, large open container to ferment in. depending on batch size car boys. I usually start with 2x 5 gallon 2x 3gallon, 2x 2 gallon, syphon, potassium metabisulfite.

sugar, some acid, some powdered tannins or raisins or black tea to add some body,

When asking questions please have as much information on hand before posting. Do you have an hydrometer? What is the starting specific gravity? what is it now? Temperatures, then and now. I hope to get your mind wrapped around what to look for and when. It has taken me years to think properly without the help of WMT. May this forum help you.
Thanks so much Mike! I should of specified I haven't actually started fermentation. I've got 160 lbs (yes not a typo) of plums I'm processing this week. Pitting, vac sealing and tossing in the freezer. The advice I'm looking for right now is mostly some basic starting tips. I do have a hydrometer, but you've reminded me to read up on some threads I've already seen here on how to use one.
Welcome to WMT!

First advice? Patience, Grasshopper. With very few exceptions, winemaking is a procrastinator's hobby.

Second advice? Ask questions before doing -- it's far easier to point you toward a good path than to fix a problem. Post your recipe/method for comment before starting.

Freezing fruit breaks down the structure and helps with extraction. Just as importantly, it gives you time to ask questions.
My uncle said the same thing about patience. A 3-year-old and 4-month-old should keep my hands busy and from going too gung-ho. As mentioned above I'm freezing small batches of plums in 5lb vac seal bags for various recipes including winemaking. With such a vast supply of plums, I'm planning on trying two or three recipes for taste tests. Taking thorough notes should help set me up for future years, and tide me over if next year's plum supply is nothing like this year's.

Recipe's I've been eyeing up have been this walkthrough video based on a Jack Keller recipe, and if I can salvage enough of my apples after apple scab got to my tree this year, I'd love to give this apple plum wine recipe a go. I'd love to hear any other recommendations though if anyone has any.

Jack Keller recipes are noted for being low on fruit. Folks on the forum may suggest the amount of plums to use -- more is typically better.

This is a post I wrote about the basic winemaking process. There is no recipe, it's geared towards helping folks understand what everything is and overall how the process works:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/basic-winemaking-process/

This post provides ideas for "fixing" fruit wine recipes. Again -- there's no recipe; it's explains what to look for in recipes, including things that can be problems:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/fixing-fruit-wine-recipes/

As I mentioned, post your recipe(s) before doing. A lot of old recipes are what worked, not what's best. Blindly adding things such as sugar is a good way to make a very sweet jet fuel. ;)

Jack Keller recipes are noted for being low on fruit. Folks on the forum may suggest the amount of plums to use -- more is typically better.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/basic-winemaking-process/
Okay I was thinking the exact same thing. Comparing the two recipe's I could see how little fruit there is. I also figured I'd add more based on how dry and bitter he noted the wine was at the end of the video. It really seemed like he tried to play it up like it was a nice wine but looked like he was suffering through it more or less :p

I hit Send before finishing my last post and updated it. Read it again, there's more detail.

YouTube videos and blogs are generally viewed with suspicion on this forum -- anyone with a web cam can create a YouTube video. Having a clue is not a requirement. Yes, there are great videos available, but a beginner can't tell which is which. The advantage of a forum such as WMT is that all posts are viewed by dozens of experienced winemakers. We have differing opinions, but you'll find that we all are within a relatively narrow range.

Making things more confusing, there are diametrically opposed actions that all valid, e.g., when to press fruit. Ask a question of 10 winemakers, you'll get at least 11 opinions ...

When it's done fermenting, your wine is going to be bone dry, which is not an ideal ending for fruit wines. But that isn't the ending.

After bulk aging, you'll want to backsweeten, even if it's lightly, which will bring out the fruit aroma and flavor. When backsweetening, we add potassium sorbate + K-meta, which acts as birth control for yeast. If you don't, expect to have a plethora of mini-volcanoes, as you'll get a new ferment in the bottle.

But that's down the road a few months. Let's get you through fermentation first ....

Thanks so much Mike! I should of specified I haven't actually started fermentation. I've got 160 lbs (yes not a typo) of plums I'm processing this week. Pitting, vac sealing and tossing in the freezer. The advice I'm looking for right now is mostly some basic starting tips. I do have a hydrometer, but you've reminded me to read up on some threads I've already seen here on how to use one.

My uncle said the same thing about patience. A 3-year-old and 4-month-old should keep my hands busy and from going too gung-ho. As mentioned above I'm freezing small batches of plums in 5lb vac seal bags for various recipes including winemaking. With such a vast supply of plums, I'm planning on trying two or three recipes for taste tests. Taking thorough notes should help set me up for future years, and tide me over if next year's plum supply is nothing like this year's.

Recipe's I've been eyeing up have been this walkthrough video based on a Jack Keller recipe, and if I can salvage enough of my apples after apple scab got to my tree this year, I'd love to give this apple plum wine recipe a go. I'd love to hear any other recommendations though if anyone has any.
What variety of plum do you have?

@Hazelemere, according to an arborist I had out looking at my trees this fall, they are Italian plums

@winemaker81, appreciate the help! As I've been looking through the forums I've learned a TON in just a few days, but trying to find a specific recipe is tough. I think I'm getting comfortable enough to soon start initial fermentation, and as you said, can post updates on the progress as we go.

No kidding about opposing views. I was actually going to ask about backsweetening. The aforementioned uncle is a hardcore purist. Avoids all sufites and sorbates. Let fermentation end naturally and maintain all that healthy probiotics for your gut etc etc. My thoughts on the matter were that it sounds great as a seasoned brewer, but as a beginner I assumed it would be easiest to exercise as much control over my fermentation (both start and stop) as I can. I was going to possibly create a new thread on this exact topic.

I would add some plums to my meat stews as well as to some vegetable soups (2-3-4 pieces depending on how big your pot is). Also, I would make plum sauce instead of cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner. Meats love sweet and sour fruity additions. I would also put my plums and apples into duck's belly before roasting it. Cooked cabbage loves plums too. Of course, drinking delicious plum wine with home cooked food is the most rewarding experience! I am jealous! Didn't get a single plum/prune from my young Italian prune tree this summer. We had late frost and snows, and then aphids attacked it😭

Last edited:
Italian prune plums pitted and frozen are excellent for wine. They will make a very tasty rose and a sensational sherry.

Here is the first part of my sherry recipe from 2014

92 lb pitted plums
25 lb sultana raisins
17 lb over-ripe bananas
25 lb chopped dried figs
18 Imperial gallons of water
nutrient
pectic enzyme
EC-1118 yeast starter
add cane sugar to SG 1.112

Lack of sulfite can greatly reduce a wine's shelf life, as K-meta protects against oxidation and a plethora of micro-critters. You'll find that most people on this forum use K-meta.

A lot of fruit wines are astringent if unsweetened. That's among the reason why old recipes use a large amount of sugar -- the intention was the yeast would poison its own environment and stop eating before using up all the sugar. It worked, but there are thousands of strains of yeast, all with different ABV tolerance levels, so there was no guarantee how sweet the wine would be, nor if a given strain loved alcohol so you'd get jet fuel instead of wine.

Here's a hard fact -- you don't make wine. You will NEVER make wine.

Yeast makes wine. What you are doing is setting up the conditions so the yeast does its thing and that converges with your desires. ;)

I say that tongue-in-cheek, but it is literally true. As far as a recipe goes? I don't exactly use a recipe, I use a method.

1) decide how much fruit you will use per 1 US gallon / 4 liters of water. For plums, my guess 6 to 8 lbs. When ready, mix the fruit and water, and add K-meta to inhibit or stomp out competing microorganisms. Adding pectic enzyme will help break down the fruit, improving extraction, and will prevent possible pectin haze.

2) decide how strong you want the wine to be. I'd target 1.085 to 1.090 as the original SG (OG). The following day, stir your must really well and take a SG reading. I wrote a post explaining how I determine how much sugar to use. [One reason for writing the posts is some topics get explained often enough that it's far easier to write it once and then point people at the post.]

Every time you add sugar stir well. Then stir again. And again. [Nope, not joking] Then check SG. If your final SG is off by a couple of points, it doesn't matter.

Add other ingredients, including acid. Plums are high in vitamin C, so it's likely citric acid will be a good addition, as will tartaric.

Add yeast nutrient. I use package directions, and add 2/3 that amount just prior to inoculation.

3) I make a yeast starter the night before I'm going to inoculate. This gets the ferment off to a better and faster start.

4) Ferment in an open container covered with a towel, stirring 2-4 times per day, starting on the day after you inoculate. On day 3 or 4 I add the remaining 1/3 of the yeast nutrient when stirring. Ideally this should be added at 1/3 sugar depletion (e.g., if OG was 1.090, add around 1.060), but it's not exact.

5) I've been using a 14 day ferment in the last couple of years -- when then SG drops to 1.010, give the must a final stir and snap the lid on the fermenter and use an airlock. Leave until Day 14. The ferment will complete, and gross lees (fruit solids) should drop.

6) Day 14: press your fruit and move the wine into a carboy.

7) 1 to 3 weeks later, rack the wine and put it back into the carboy for bulk aging, at least 3 months.

This is a quickie off the top of my head. I'm sure I left things out, but it's a start.

Note - pay attention to units. @Hazelemere works in Imperial gallons (which he explicitly states), most non-US folks work in metric, and Americans work mostly in US measurements. Make sure you're reading the correct units.

I try to work in metric because it's honestly easier and unambiguous. When working with small amounts of yeast and additives, it's far easier to work in grams and milliliters than anything in US measurements.

Italian prune plums pitted and frozen are excellent for wine. They will make a very tasty rose and a sensational sherry.

Here is the first part of my sherry recipe from 2014

92 lb pitted plums
25 lb sultana raisins
17 lb over-ripe bananas
25 lb chopped dried figs
18 Imperial gallons of water
nutrient
pectic enzyme
EC-1118 yeast starter
add cane sugar to SG 1.112
My gawd! thats a huge batch. How much was the end result (aka can I scale this down to a single 5-6 gallon initial fermentation).

@winemaker81 thanks for this! I'm getting the impression the few video's I linked originally are at least reasonable, but I should never expect to just follow a recipe to the T.

While I've got all the hardware I need minus a few quality of life things like a bottle tree (months away from needing this) I will be heading to my local supplier this weekend for all of the additives like k-meta and of course yeast etc etc.

Love what you are saying about the yeast doing the work. I jumped on the typical covid hobby of sourdough baking, which gives me at least some understanding of what you're talking about. Also did some great tours while in Belgium discussing old beer brewing methods (the "magic" spoon hung on the wall to stir the wart while meanwhile it was collecting ambient yeast before they even knew what yeast was).

In the meantime, I will continue processing my tons of plums, collecting all the starter packets I could possibly need, and will likely give a basic batch a start this weekend based off all the information gathered here. Will report back with starting SG etc once done and go from there.

Nice thing about freezing my harvest is I can also run a number of small batches back to back rather than simultaneously and learn a lot of lessons (hopefully not hard ones) fairly quickly

What do you have for secondary storage? 4 liter jugs are REALLY handy to have. When I need cooking wine I purchase Carlo Rossi Burgundy, Chianti, and Chablis in 4 liter jugs. The wines are plonk -- nothing exceptional about them, but no serious flaws. Just kind of meh, but drinkable. And the empty jug goes into the winery.

I suggest you make a 1.5 gallon batch first -- 1.5 gallons of water, 10-12 lbs of fruit. You'll lose volume at each racking, so the goal is to have 4 liters to fill the jug. Anything excess goes in smaller bottles. I use 1.5 liter, 750 ml, and 375 ml wine bottles for excess.

If you've got the freezer space, don't start another batch until the first one is in bulk aging.

Regarding wine bottles -- you need to be concerned now. A newbie mistake is to be ready for bottling and realize there's not enough bottles.

Any corkable wine bottle will work. If you have a nearby winery, they may be willing to let you take tasting room empties, as it saves them the trouble of disposing of them.

Back