Brand new Fruit Press how to protect wood from staining.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFW

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I just received a NEW fruit press from EJWOX and am planning to use this for RED and WHITE wine. From the website:
  • High Quality - Hardwood basket is made of red beech which is moisture and corrosion resistant. And breakaway basket that allows you to quickly remove the spent pulp between pressings
I have read online reviews that mentioned using Butcher Block oil to prevent what ever your pressing from absorbing into the wood. Thinking red grape stains on the wood. What would you use to help keep it clean?

I have read that the Butcher Block oil is food grade.

Thanks for your response. I did read back several pages on this topic thread and didn’t find any useful information.

So do I or don’t I what would you do?
I don’t think the butcher block oil will prevent staining. If it was me I would apply a fresh coat before every usage, sounds like a lot of work. So I would probably not be diligent enough to do it.

Minwax makes a polyacrylic protective finish. I would use that, several coats, get it down in any drilled holes as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. My basket press is used primarily for reds and the wood is certainly stained.

Last fall I fermented Vidal on the skins and pressed in the same press. The color in the wood did not affect the wine.

Every time you finish using the press, clean it well. I use a pressure washer to remove all foreign material and let it air dry.

An industry point of view; Wood in food contact applications is a source for inoculating micro on food, ALWAYS. Wood will absorb liquid from any product which is in contact with it. Absorbing liquid can not be prevented.
, , , Theoretically I could picture a vacuum chamber where one would immerse the wood in a polymer and pull all the gas trapped in pores away but have yet to see anyone selling this product.

Last edited:
Hi I just received a NEW fruit press from EJWOX and am planning to use this for RED and WHITE wine. From the website:
  • High Quality - Hardwood basket is made of red beech which is moisture and corrosion resistant. And breakaway basket that allows you to quickly remove the spent pulp between pressings
I have read online reviews that mentioned using Butcher Block oil to prevent what ever your pressing from absorbing into the wood. Thinking red grape stains on the wood. What would you use to help keep it clean?

I have read that the Butcher Block oil is food grade.

Thanks for your response. I did read back several pages on this topic thread and didn’t find any useful information.
I would do nothing to the wood. Stains won't cause a problem. I wash my press prior to use and dump the grapes in.

So do I or don’t I what would you do?
I agree with Sailor and Bryan, do nothing except clean the wood well before and after use. Pressure washer is a great idea if you have access to one. We had presses at home that we would just scrub with a scrub brush and hot water before and after use. After, we would set the basket in the sun to dry and put it away for the next season. Never had an issue. Beside which, the "stains" give the press an impressive (ugh) patina.

I agree with Sailor and Bryan, do nothing except clean the wood well before and after use. Pressure washer is a great idea if you have access to one. We had presses at home that we would just scrub with a scrub brush and hot water before and after use. After, we would set the basket in the sun to dry and put it away for the next season. Never had an issue. Beside which, the "stains" give the press an impressive (ugh) patina.
Additionally, I douse the press with either K-meta solution or Star San immediately before use, catching the runoff in a bucket. I pour that bucket from container to container, so everything is sanitized.

My small press is an old cast iron Berraducci. It belonged to my grandfather. The staves were black in the nineteen fifties when I was a little boy. When I started using it in ‘99 I washed it thoroughly with sal soda and triple rinsed. Never been a problem. We still use it annually for Brunello since that press is just seven lugs.

Had to replace a stave two years ago. Can’t wait for the color to match

The pieces of the old one are on the credenza next to my desk.

Back