Cork storage question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I was buying my corks on line @ .16 each, getting about 400 at a time. Then my local winery says to me that she will sell me corks @ .14 each if I buy 200 at a time.

Well I ended up needing more that I thought so I bought a bag of 1000 (just received from her supplier) at .10 each :h:h.

Now I have not opened the bag yet but will have to soon. Can I store them in a 5 gal bucket with a bowl in the top with a wet cloth of kmeta in the bowl?

Sure - why not? Personally, I believe you're overthinking it - corks are one of the least likely sources of contamination, IMHO, as long as you keep them dry clean. Your wine should only come in contact with them in a limited fashion, in a closed container, when it has maximum alcohol content (as antiseptic). The way I see it, as long as they are in a sealed plastic bag from a reputable seller and don't see the light of day until they are going into your corking device and into the bottles, there is very little opportunity for any microbes to use the corks as a vehicle to get to your wine.

My only cork issue has been when the perfect agglomerate corks have been waiting for me for 6 months+, they start drying out and get hard and difficult to insert.

Well the bag won't be "sealed" once I open it. That's why I asked. I know they are stored in so2 so I though they would last longer if I kept them in so2.

This is not a recommendation, per se, but I buy in 1000 count bags (cost is about 8.5 cents per cork) and break that order down to 100 count "Zip Lock Freezer Bags." I have never had a problem with the corks. I try to get as much air out of the bag as possible without evacuating the bag. In a pinch, I could use my "Food Saver" and seal them in a vacuum bag, but the 1000 are gone within a year (about 200 gallons of wine).

Ok, well, I meant kept in the same bag without removing them or re-packaging them into some other container. If you consider them sanitized before you open the bag and you only take out the ones you use, I would argue the corks remaining in the bag are still 'sanitized'.

That's a really good price for corks - wish I could get them for $.10 each.

Here are some pictures from my "Corking Department" showing the corks I am referencing and my "field expediency" Corkidor. The first is a picture of the corks I buy. They are #9, 1 3/4" long identified only by "VS1 Premium." The second picture shows the 100 count bags. My Corkidor is a former salad spinner from which I removed the spinning handle and corked the hole on top. I pour K-meta solution into the bottom, place the corks in the basket and cover them for about 1 hour before inserting.

100_0411.jpg

100_0409.jpg

100_0407.jpg

100_0408.jpg

Quite a few of us use a corkador for long term storage of large amounts of bulk corks. I use an old Mosti Mondial All Juice bucket but any 5 or 6 gallon bucket with a good snap on lid should suffice. The nice thing about the Mosti bucket is it has a rubber seal around the lid so when snapped its very air tight. I use an old recycled quart milk jug (cleaned) and just fill it with KMETA solution to within a few inches of the top. Set the open jug in the middle of the empty bucket and then fill the bucket with your corks. The Meta solution will last ~6 months or so depending on much you open it. You will know when to replace it when you don't smell any SO2 when you open it up. This keeps the corks sanitized as well as keeping them from drying out.

Neat idea, MIke. I will have to re-evaluate my process. I currently expose the corks to K-meta just before bottling. Your way makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I put a squirt of kmeta in the zip lock for storage. Any issue with this you think?
Les

Latest posts

Back