Do you put shrink caps on bottles with threaded caps?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
See picture, these are 1 liter that my friend gets, many of them.
I used them the last 2 years but never put shrink caps and gave out to friends like it.

This year i'm trying to secure the .750ml bottles without threaded caps so I use corks and shrink cap to make a gift more presentable and nice.

So, would you still use the cap and then put a shrink cap, or discard the cap and instead use a cork and then the shrink capsule?

On either case, could I leave that ring on it when I put the shrink capsule?

caps.jpg

I leave the ring and cork the bottle. IF the wine is a gift then I use the shrink capsules. If for us, I don't bother with the capsules.

Most of my bottles now come from somewhat local wineries so the rings are not a problem. One winery gives them to me another sells them for $3.00 a case.

I would throw them away. Threaded bottles have thin necks that can break when corking and you cannot reuse the threaded cap because the cap had a crushable seal that is already used up.

I put all the screw top bottles in recycling bin. My trash pickup must think I am quite the partier. I have 2 Italian resturants saving bottles for me and 85% are corked bottles. I've picked up about 400 bottles in the last 2 months and pitched the screw tops because several have said they will sometimes explode while corking. A couple more weeks of good collections and I'm going to stop for awhile. Whith this many bottles, i can be choosy.

I did not know better I guess because we have used them with the floor corker with no problem.

what about putting the original cap on, will the wine change versus using a cork?

As DoctorCad state, throw them away, they are just too risky to put a cork in and as DoctorCad state no you can not re-use the caps.

I used to cork screw cap bottles despite the warnings.
DO NOT DO THIS. My daughter and her boy friend was helping bottle one day he he had a bottle neck exploded in his hand. Thankfully there were no serious cuts but definitively enough to make me pitch all my screw caps in the recycling

so why not use the original cap to then store the wine, will air still sip through into the bottle?

Just want to be sure......!!!

I would throw them away. Threaded bottles have thin necks that can break when corking and you cannot reuse the threaded cap because the cap had a crushable seal that is already used up.
As DoctorCAD said. the seal has been used and will not seal properly the second time around

I will throw away the screw caps when we open the corked bottles. Honestly we had no problem what so ever putting a #9 1-3/4 inch cork in the bottles.

Sammy chances are you won't have an issue with them most of the time, but eventually it's going to happen and I heard it's not pretty or safe. The biggest issue is uncorking them. Most people rarely pull the cork straight, they do it on an angle putting a lot of pressure on the thin neck. This is when you can run into serious trouble.

Latest posts

Back