Does size matter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polar Mike

Sometimes One Bottle is never enough
Reaction score
I have 4 glass 5gal carboys that I use but each is a slightly different shape. One, when I fill it, 5gal leaves much more room for gas than one of the others. Some are 5gal right at he beginning of the shoulder and one is 5 gal halfway up the shoulder.
My question is, does the amount of space remaining affect how the wine processes or taste? I've tried doing taste tests but even when I make the same wine in the two most different ones, I can't tell.
Plus I may start a batch in a bottle that has a fair amount of space (compared to the others), but then when I transfer for the next stage, it may be going into a smaller neck bottle for the next stage.
The difference in space above the batch of wine is not dramatically different, but it isn't the same between my carboys. Does this matter, would it affect the taste of the wine?

I have 4 glass 5gal carboys that I use but each is a slightly different shape. One, when I fill it, 5gal leaves much more room for gas than one of the others. Some are 5gal right at he beginning of the shoulder and one is 5 gal halfway up the shoulder.
My question is, does the amount of space remaining affect how the wine processes or taste? I've tried doing taste tests but even when I make the same wine in the two most different ones, I can't tell.
Plus I may start a batch in a bottle that has a fair amount of space (compared to the others), but then when I transfer for the next stage, it may be going into a smaller neck bottle for the next stage.
The difference in space above the batch of wine is not dramatically different, but it isn't the same between my carboys. Does this matter, would it affect the taste of the wine?

One should always strive to keep the air space under the airlock to a minimum. This is to prevent oxygen in the headspace from oxidizing the wine. Many people have various odd sizes of jugs/bottles. You can also use inert sanitized objects like glass marbles to take up the space. Just be sure they don’t contain lead in the glass.

For me, it’s simpler to top off a carboy with a similar wine. I don’t use anything less than a half gallon jug, anything less than a half gallon goes into a bottle for immediate drinking.

I agree with Bob -- excess headspace is a problem over time. Know the sizes of your carboys and as much as possible, plan your batch sizes to handle the size. For 5 gallon carboys I typically plan for 6 initial gallons.

#2 and #3 stoppers fit wine bottles -- I have solid and drilled versions. So I use 375 ml, 750 ml, and 1.5 l bottles for overage. It helps to have a drawer full of airlocks.

In the same vein as Bryan, swing-top bottles work as well. I have a variety of sizes of those for sparkling wine/cider and put a drilled cork into them for overage.

I forgot I have a couple cases of those, called Grolsch-style bottles. Mine are 500ml, a perfect intermediate between 750 and 375 bottles. Thanks for jolting the memory, I’m going to put them into service at the next bottling.

I have several 5 gallon carboys, they all contain different amounts. You should limit airspace as much as possible. Airspace can oxidize the wine; OK for Shery but terrible for wine. I fill my carboys to within 2 inches of the top using similar wine to do so.

Back