Fermenting in Blue Plastic Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend I got mote Sangiovese grapes than I can ferment in my stainless wineeasy fermenter. I was able to get a 55 gallon blue barrel which is food grade (Peanut Butter was shipped in it originally). Its been thoroughly cleaned, soaked in PBE and is ready to go.

The question I have is since the top was cut off the barrel do I need to worry about covering it? I have a cheesecloth covering that will be rubber banded on the top to keep the fruit flies out but that is it. Anytime I have ever fermented before it has always been covered so I am a little worried about it. What do those of you that used the blue barrels do when you ferment in the blue barrels?

Would it be better to just pitch and ferment in the 6 gallon buckets I have them cold soaking in instead?

You can also use a beach towel, any towel large enough to cover. The weight of the towel should hold it in place. I use regular bath towels for 32 and 20 gallon Brutes.

As to which container to use? Which is easiest for you?

This weekend I got mote Sangiovese grapes than I can ferment in my stainless wineeasy fermenter. I was able to get a 55 gallon blue barrel which is food grade (Peanut Butter was shipped in it originally). Its been thoroughly cleaned, soaked in PBE and is ready to go.

The question I have is since the top was cut off the barrel do I need to worry about covering it? I have a cheesecloth covering that will be rubber banded on the top to keep the fruit flies out but that is it. Anytime I have ever fermented before it has always been covered so I am a little worried about it. What do those of you that used the blue barrels do when you ferment in the blue barrels?

Would it be better to just pitch and ferment in the 6 gallon buckets I have them cold soaking in instead?
I’m also making the same wine .

I bought a drop cloth from Lowe’s.

Attachments

• IMG_3291.jpeg
    IMG_3291.jpeg
    1.8 MB
I think just a loose covering (cheesecloth, plastic sheet) is fine. You're much more likely to get up to the temperature you need for good extraction in a 55gal bin as opposed to 6 gallon buckets. Sounds like a great fermenter!
Thant's an interesting point you bring up about the temperature. I've often wondered if there is a benefit to wineries using T-bins to ferment. I do know that sometimes their concern is a temp too high rather than too low and they sometimes need to punch down more often. I use 10 gallon brutes filled to about 8 gallons and with my warehouse keeping a pretty steady 70-75 the must does stay within a few degrees of 85.

What temp do you like to ferment reds?

I used food grade 55 gallon barrels that were used to ship lime juice some years ago and never had an issue. They did have tops when I bought them ($5!) but I cut them off because I needed access to the barrel. As I recall, I used the top as a cover by inverting it and laying it one top of the barrel. I used the barrels as my primary fermenters and kept the wine in them to SG 1.020 or less and then racked to carboys. I also added stainless steel spigots to them for ease of racking. They worked great.

I used 44 gallon brutes this year and I have to admit - it is a bigger problem to keep the heat under control. I have given up on frozen bottles of water and moved to a stainless wort chiller with a submersible water pump and ice. Add an inkbird temp controller and it seems to do a good job of cooling the middle of these monster thermal masses.

Thant's an interesting point you bring up about the temperature. I've often wondered if there is a benefit to wineries using T-bins to ferment. I do know that sometimes their concern is a temp too high rather than too low and they sometimes need to punch down more often. I use 10 gallon brutes filled to about 8 gallons and with my warehouse keeping a pretty steady 70-75 the must does stay within a few degrees of 85.
T bins (and their larger cousins S-bins) are great for maintaining high fermentation temperatures when required, but you're right that you need to make sure they don't overheat, particularly if you're fermenting outside in warm weather. That being said, sometimes if you're fermenting in a cool cellar you need to move the bins outside into the sun in order to warm them up. It sounds like you have no problem keeping your must temperature up, maybe because your warehouse is warm...
What temp do you like to ferment reds?
As with so many things, that depends... For a big, bold tannic red I'd want to get up to 80-85 F for at least a few days (but no higher than that for fear of stressing the yeast). Last year I made a Syrah in 2x44gal Brutes and used a couple of aquarium heaters to get the temperature up. My brix/temp profile is here. For pinot noir I'd probably stay a bit cooler if I'm aiming to preserve more bright fruit and aromatics.

Latest posts

Back