Foam in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aebhel

Junior
Reaction score
I've just started a gallon of peach wine (first time doing wine, though I've made cider before). It foamed up through the airlock, and while it's stopped foaming now and seems to be bubbling just fine, there's still a lot of foam left in the lock. I'm concerned about it getting moldy. Would it cause any issues to just pull the airlock off, rinse it, and replace it with fresh water?

No issues at all! In fact a lot of people won't even put an airlock on during primary, since fermentation can be so active and if you're working with whole fruit instead of juice you want to punch down and mix the fermenting must at least twice a day. Yeast can take (and like!) a good bit of oxygen during the beginning of primary, and the wine is often fermenting so fast putting off so much CO2 it's hard to get too much oxygen into it if you tried

No issues at all! In fact a lot of people won't even put an airlock on during primary, since fermentation can be so active and if you're working with whole fruit instead of juice you want to punch down and mix the fermenting must at least twice a day. Yeast can take (and like!) a good bit of oxygen during the beginning of primary, and the wine is often fermenting so fast putting off so much CO2 it's hard to get too much oxygen into it if you tried
Thank you so much! I didn't think so but I have very little idea what I'm doing here, lol

Back