Gravity reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jules

Junior
Reaction score
We've only been making wine for less than a year. Today we started a batch of mango, papaya wine. Some of the recipes ask you to take a gravity reading. What is that and how important is it that you do this?

It is a reading your get from a hydrometer and it is very important. You can get a hydrometer from your local brew shop or from one of our vendors here, they are only about $6 but buy a couple cuz I will guarantee you when you only have one, you will break it, when you have more than one, you don't seem to break it.

When you start a wine, you take a hydrometer reading to know how much sugar you have in your must, this will give you a good idea on how much alcohol you will have in a finished wine. A hydrometer reading will also let you know if you have a stuck fermentation. We have a tutorial section here that will explain and show you haw to read a hydrometer. SG means starting gravity and FG means final gravity

Thank you very much. I will buy one Tuesday after work. I will also read up on that tutorial right now.

Back