Hello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gen-italian

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new. I like home brewing. I live in northern Alabama and I like making country fruit wine.

I have a lingering question. What is the typical high tolerance of most yeasts in reference to sugar. I'm looking for a high SG number to aim for. I've started 5 fermentation and I don't go above 1.100 cause I'm worried it will stall out. I'm using red star premier blanc yeast.

Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for this. It's great information. I'm looking for a max high threshold of sugar tolerance specifically the gravity where the yeast starts exploding from having too much osmotic pressure(?). Not alcohol tolerance.
This will vary by strain, and each batch of yeast is not guaranteed to be consistent. Yeast is a colony of living creatures and there is variation, e.g., a given strain has a lab rating of 15% ABV tolerance, but individual packets might range from 14% to 16%.

If you stick with a max SG of 1.100, depending on where the ferment ends, you'll typically get 14.0 to 14.5% ABV. You might exceed the ABV tolerance of a given strain, but I don't know of a commercial yeast that will choke because that's too much sugar.

This will vary by strain, and each batch of yeast is not guaranteed to be consistent. Yeast is a colony of living creatures and there is variation, e.g., a given strain has a lab rating of 15% ABV tolerance, but individual packets might range from 14% to 16%.

If you stick with a max SG of 1.100, depending on where the ferment ends, you'll typically get 14.0 to 14.5% ABV. You might exceed the ABV tolerance of a given strain, but I don't know of a commercial yeast that will choke because that's too much sugar.
This is on par with what I'm looking for. A specific gravity reading that is a good safe zone to start from. I step fed one batch of wine sugar and miscalculated the high alcohol tolerance. I'm trying to avoid too much feeding cause you can always add more but not take it away.

I'm new. I like home brewing. I live in northern Alabama and I like making country fruit wine.

I have a lingering question. What is the typical high tolerance of most yeasts in reference to sugar. I'm looking for a high SG number to aim for. I've started 5 fermentation and I don't go above 1.100 cause I'm worried it will stall out. I'm using red star premier blanc yeast.

Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it.
EC 1118 can take 18% alcohol but not all the sugar to get there at once and needs nutrient to get to 18%. SG 1125 is about as high as I would go to start. if you start at 1.100 and the SG drops to 1.030 you can raise it to 1.050 with dextrose (corn sugar) or wait untill it drops to say 1.010 and take it up to 1.025. Once you get to 16% alcohol its safest to go to SG 1.000 and raise it to 1.010 so if the ferment stops for any reason you have a better chance of having a wine that isn't too sweet unless you add something like citric acid to cut the sweetness.

Last edited:
EC 1118 can take 18% alcohol but not all the sugar to get there at once and needs nutrient to get to 18%. SG 1125 is about as high as I would go to start. if you start at 1.100 and the SG drops to 1.030 you can raise it to 1.050 with dextrose (corn sugar) or wait untill it drops to say 1.010 and take it up to 1.025. Once you get to 16% alcohol its safest to go to SG 1.000 and raise it to 1.010 so if the ferment stops for any reason you have a better chance of having a wine that isn't too sweet unless you add something like citric acid to cut the sweetness.
Thank you! 😊

Back