Hi from NJ

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviawen

Reaction score
Hello! I just recently joined your forum and figured I would introduce myself. My name is Katie and I am still fairly new to wine making. So far I've made blackberry wine, potato wine, some pinot noir and a few meads. I've visited your site a few times for answers to a few questions that I had when getting my few batches of wine started. Right now I have a 6 gallon carboy of Pinot Noir which is almost ready to bottle, a batch of blueberry mead in a 1 gallon carboy and my latest batch of clover mead is bubbling away in a 1 gallon primary. I've tasted them while checking the SG on them and they still taste really good. I'm hoping they hurry up so that I can drink some soon!

Katie welcome to WMT. This is a great place to learn from as you know and a bunch of great folks. I'd be interested to hearing more about your potato wine. I have never heard of it.

Welcome to the forum, Katie. It sounds like you're well on your way to the obsession. :db

Potato Wine recipe

Thanks everyone! I am already hooked on making wine. My kitchen looks looks like a science lab and I've already cleaned out a closet in the basement to store all my bottled, equipment, etc. :)

Dan: The potato wine I made I got the recipe from a little purple paper booklet called "Wine Maker's Recipe Handbook". Here's the recipe:

2 lb. potatos
1/2 pint White grape concentrate
7 pints water
2 1/2 lbs sugar (I only used 2 lbs)
3 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 package wine yeast (I used Cuvee yeast)

Method:
1. Wash and scrub the potatos clean. Slice up potatos and boil in water just until tender. Strain out juice, remove potatos and pour the boiled mixture into the primary fermentor. (Basically you are using the starchy water from the pot after boiling the potatos. This pretty much tastes like dishwater as I was brave enough to taste it.) If you have a nylon training bag use this to contain potatos while boiling- it will make removing them easier.
2. Stir in all other ingriedients except the yeast. Cover the primary.
3. When mixture cools (below 85 degrees F) add the yeast. Cover the primary.
4. Stir daily, check S.G.
5. When ferment reachest S.G. 1.040 (3-5 days) rack into the glass secondary and attach the airlock.
6. When ferment reaches 1.000 - (about 3 wks) rack again and reattach your airlock.
7. to aid in clearing, rack agin in 2 mths and again if necessary before bottling. If you desire sweeter wine, add 1/2 tsp stbilizer and then stir in 1/4 lb sugar per gallon.

I added about 7 or 8 raisins to 3 of the 6 bottles when I bottled it even though the booklet did not call for this. It was hard to find a lot of information on the internet for potato wine other than some people following the recipe from this booklet. One person said that raisins gave it a nice touch so I figured I would try 1/2 with and 1/2 without. Before bottling it tasted nothing like dishwater like it did while in the primary. It actually tasted more like a reisling since I made it more on the dryer side. It takes about a year before it is supposed to be ready to drink. I'm sure I'll update this later when we open one up and try it. :)
I took a bunch of pictures of the process of each of the wines I made because I am camera happy, lol. I will find some and upload them soon if you would like. ~Kate

Welcome from another NJ winemaker. What part you from? I'm in the Burlington area. :dg

I'm in Gloucester County, about 20 minutes from the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.

Welcome to the forum Katie. Tom, glad you put your 2c in. Dan, don't you know that that's why there are never enough potatoes in the prison veg soup. How did you think they made the wine?

I didn't know prisoners made wine out of the potatoes but it would not surprise me! I read that potato wine was the drinks of the old pioneers on the wagon trail due to they always had an abundance of potatoes because they kept well for their long trip.

Most prisoners use the little fruit cups to make it. Welcome yo our site Katie and glad you finally joined in. Dont worry, we dont bite here.

Back