Hi from Wi!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there! Been making wine from kits or juice buckets for over 15 years, and will be starting to harvest grapes from my own vines (Marquette, Petite Pearl, Frontenac Blanc & Itasca) at my house. I've also made a number of batches of fruit wines, mostly tart cherry. Been reading some of the forums for a few months and thought I'd join in. Looking forward to learning and expanding my techniques.

Cheers!

Welcome to WMT from a fellow Cheesehead. I started a hobby vineyard and will harvest my first grapes this year.

ETA: I’m growing Marquette, Petite Pearl, Frontenac, Itasca, and Brianna. Currently at 88 vines.

Last edited:
Welcome! I’m in the UP of Michigan and have been growing all of those grapes except Frontenac Blanc. I’ve made two harvests so far. Biggest issue for me is getting them ripe. However, I have drinkable wine from the last two years already with hopes of improving each year. 😊

Welcome! I’m in the UP of Michigan and have been growing all of those grapes except Frontenac Blanc. I’ve made two harvests so far. Biggest issue for me is getting them ripe. However, I have drinkable wine from the last two years already with hopes of improving each year. 😊
One harvest last year and ripening was an issue for me too. Picked into mid-October hoping acid would come down. Tasted ok from the carboy earlier this month so I'm hopeful once it's bottled.

welcome to WMT from a fellow Wisconsinite. and grower of Itasca, Frontenac, Petite Pearl, cherry, rhurbarb, . . . .

There are several clubs in the state which work together on crushes and juice purchases. Where in NE Wisconsin? You may be close to @ChuckD or @wood1954 .
Seymour, just west of GB and north of Appleton. I've been getting juice buckets through the Prairie Home Vinters club out of Sun Prairie for a number of years.

One harvest last year and ripening was an issue for me too. Picked into mid-October hoping acid would come down. Tasted ok from the carboy earlier this month so I'm hopeful once it's bottled.
Yeah, this year I’m pushing harvest as late as possible. I’m also thinning out clusters a lot to try and improve the quality of clusters. I’m hoping if I can get the ripeness up, hopefully the ph will improve too.

Back