I have 42 quarts of Spring Harvested Honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend who I have been teaching how to Crappie fish. He has 30+ bee hives. My help, favors, fabrications for his boat, and a couple of long wheelbase $10 piled up some premium honey to play with. I made a spiced mead with pure, fresh squeezed, Page Mandarin juice, several cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger, and cayenne pepper. I step fed the EC-1118 to the point I'm around 20-22ABV. I love the taste already but the flavors are still individuals, not melded. I also made a straight mead, the reason of this post, that became skunky smelling to the nose while not to the taste. 71B was the yeast I used and the fermentation temps 75-77 degrees. To fix the skunk I put 3#'s of pureed Raspberries in, kicked off the fermentation with a bit of syrup from the step feeding and now its better. Better in it was good enough I bottled it, stored it in the racks, and will try it a year from bottling. I'm not above drinking mistakes. I would like to make a very good, pure mead, any suggestions I would appreciate the help.

I have a friend who I have been teaching how to Crappie fish. He has 30+ bee hives. My help, favors, fabrications for his boat, and a couple of long wheelbase $10 piled up some premium honey to play with. I made a spiced mead with pure, fresh squeezed, Page Mandarin juice, several cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger, and cayenne pepper. I step fed the EC-1118 to the point I'm around 20-22ABV. I love the taste already but the flavors are still individuals, not melded. I also made a straight mead, the reason of this post, that became skunky smelling to the nose while not to the taste. 71B was the yeast I used and the fermentation temps 75-77 degrees. To fix the skunk I put 3#'s of pureed Raspberries in, kicked off the fermentation with a bit of syrup from the step feeding and now its better. Better in it was good enough I bottled it, stored it in the racks, and will try it a year from bottling. I'm not above drinking mistakes. I would like to make a very good, pure mead, any suggestions I would appreciate the help.
add nutrient containg vitamin b

SKUNK aroma is called reductive, if it stays in the wine it degrades into mercaptans which can be described as fried chicken flavor. This overpowers fruit flavors.

I use Fermaid O step feeding. Basically every time you add more sugar add some organic nitrogen to keep cells from canabalizing their parents for nitrogen.

Thanks for the help. I didn't know I needed to add Fermaid O at each step feeding. This has never happened with any other wine I've made. Since this was a batch of mead I thought it was because I was fermenting the honey incorrectly, well I guess I did. To confirm, Fermaid O in all step feedings of a fermentation?

Honey has the reputation of being extremely low on nitrogen. Hunt out the concept of TOSNA ~ translated approximately as “total organic step nitrogen addition”. I like organic nitrogen because it effectively acts like more nitrogen than the lab test number. I also like 55F and 65F because it reduces peak nitrogen demand. (there is a good write up on nitrogen by Diezel a decade ago on WMT).

At this point; recent skunk (smells like hydrogen sulfide) can be removed by fining with Redulus. A month old skunk is hard to remove but can be reduced with successive vitamin C followed by Redulus. You have a judgement call on how objectionable the off notes are.

Being right off the Gulf of Mexico we only have 65 degree temps in the house mid winter. Almost have to run the A/C then to get that cool. I'm doing all my other fermentations now till winter, house is 72 degrees at best. Thank you for the help I will look up your suggestions as well as the others to make a plan.

One trick I have done is to put a six gallon primary in a squareish shape ice chest and then cycle half gallon ice on the open end. This is more effective with a little water in the chest and a winter coat over the top of the bucket. If you get fancy a chill unit works, I have seen gallons in a small fridge run 2C above air / controller temp.

I'm HVAC Certified and bought a couple of 1 ton Daikin Mini-Splits. One is for a Wine room at some point. So there is 2 ice machines here so I could build a cool-can type unit, put a circulating pump on a thermostat, bend a coil to fit around the Primary, etc. I have not been thinking like that but now you have given me a idea. Thanks

Back