Interesting video on adding sulfur in wine making...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this video and I thought it was worth watching. I am not advocating either for or against the content, merely putting it out there for information. It has interested me to the point that I plan to make a batch of wine with no sulfur added, just to see what happens.

I came across this video and I thought it was worth watching. I am not advocating either for or against the content, merely putting it out there for information. It has interested me to the point that I plan to make a batch of wine with no sulfur added, just to see what happens.
His theory is an interesting one, and it may be correct.

The downside to not using sulfur, IME, is a significantly shortened shelf life. Many moons ago I purchased sulfur-free wines from 3 different Finger Lakes wineries, and all 3 bottles were in decline when I opened them 4-6 months later. I won't claim that as definitive proof, but it lines up with what I've gathered from other sources.

Converse to his idea of improved aroma is the oxidation that is not prevented by not using sulfur. Over the years I've had extra wine in small bottles get shuffled to the side and not touched for 6 to 12 months. I have noted that the longer these bottles set, the more likely there is to be off odors and flavors when I open them. Again, this is far from definitive proof, but it's good enough for me to add K-meta on a regular basis.

If you decide to experiment in this arena, do small batches. You may prove me wrong so it doesn't matter ... or ... you may prove me right.

Humm, ,,,
The video says “sulfur disinfects” ,, ,, this would relate to only one function of SO2 .

I have said several times “wine is a preservative system “. I can put together many plant operations which can reduce microbial count ranging from adding Velcorin to 0.45 micron filtration. ie I have several options for disinfection. For the purpose of not causing food poisoning I don’t have to use SO2 to disinfect.

We are a wealthy society. We can decide not to consume or buy calories because they taste bad. Wine is a chemically reduced (high chemical energy) system. Many of the compounds in wine readily oxidize and change their taste profile. We as home winemakers don’t have any tools that are as functional at preventing oxidation of the desirable flavors of wine. ,,, Are you willing to hop onto the pH 4.5 beer like beverage wagon and let the flavor deteriorate in a year? I am not.

Looking at traditional beverages tannins are neat antioxidants. If the speaker uses tools as hops or tannin or polyphenol pigments he can get a few years of shelf life out,, BUT as with red grape wines the young beverage tastes harsh. I encourage all readers to use astringent flavor antioxidants, (but not bitter flavor ones). SO2 at normal levels has no detectable flavor.

Last edited:
I use so2 at the minimum level per the ph after a few months of settling to make sure the MLF completes. I also use a lot of tannin as an antioxidant. I’ve recently started using a .35 micron filter and chitosan which is supposed to be antibacterial. Plus my wines are typically higher in acid which helps aging. I also am going to start using a pump to rack my wines instead of vacuum aerating my wine. I think this protocol will yield the aroma and flavor and aging potential. I wonder if this guy uses a high so2 producing yeast? Also I think it’s been determined that headaches are caused by amines in red wine , not sulfur. Easy way to test that is give someone who gets headaches from red wine, dried apricots which probably have 300 ppm or more sulfur and see what happens.

Last edited:
Back