Interesting wine making video

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie vino

Reaction score
I know there's lots of different techniques out there. I found this video which I'm assuming by the name of the guy is from Georgia. My favorite part was the gloves on the carboys. Watching these videos using traditional methods makes me wonder sometimes about all the additions added to modern. it's a nice reminder that wine can be as simple as you want it to be

A very interesting video, thank you for finding and sharing it. I have to show it to my husband who also wants to make something as simple as possible. As our ancestors did for centuries! The man's name is Georgy (Georgii or Georgiy), and he is from Kavkaz (Caucasus Mountains), former USSR. He can be from the Republic of Georgia or from Armenia. Azerbaijani people may also make homemade wine. I was born and raised in the USSR and remember these rubber gloves on top of carboys. I myself used them as well as rubber balloons if I didn't have gloves. Pople living in Caucasus Mountains make a lot of wine and drink it instead of water sometimes🤣. I would like to plant several Saperavi grape vines (Double A Vineyards sold me one last spring, unfortunately, it didn't survive). This variety was selected in Georgia in 1950th. I will for sure follow every step shown in this video and see what I get (in 2027 or 2028?). My son bought a bottle of Saperavi wine made in Azerbaijan in Tokyo, Japan last spring, he visited wine tasting festival there.

McGregor Winery in NY is the only US winery I know of that grows and markets Saperavi.
Good to know, thank you! I regret now that I bought only 1 vine of Saperavi https://doubleavineyards.com/saperavi-grafted. I had 100% rate of survival for any vines sold by Double A. Last spring was very weird. Late frost and snow as late as May 7 killed 1 out of 2 Cab Sauvignon and Saperavi.

A very interesting video, thank you for finding and sharing it. I have to show it to my husband who also wants to make something as simple as possible. As our ancestors did for centuries! The man's name is Georgy (Georgii or Georgiy), and he is from Kavkaz (Caucasus Mountains), former USSR. He can be from the Republic of Georgia or from Armenia. Azerbaijani people may also make homemade wine. I was born and raised in the USSR and remember these rubber gloves on top of carboys. I myself used them as well as rubber balloons if I didn't have gloves. Pople living in Caucasus Mountains make a lot of wine and drink it instead of water sometimes🤣. I would like to plant several Saperavi grape vines (Double A Vineyards sold me one last spring, unfortunately, it didn't survive). This variety was selected in Georgia in 1950th. I will for sure follow every step shown in this video and see what I get (in 2027 or 2028?). My son bought a bottle of Saperavi wine made in Azerbaijan in Tokyo, Japan last spring, he visited wine tasting festival there.
I’m interested in Saperavi vines as well. A friend is trialing them in his vineyard. The wine is amazing.

I’m interested in Saperavi vines as well. A friend is trialing them in his vineyard. The wine is amazing.
I don't know cold hardy they are. Republic of Georgia has very mild winters, very soft and even warm in some locations. But if the grapes were selected to grow somewhere in elevated places, then they may be good for our Utah too. We had 4F one night in 2023. I have to plant my grapevines close to our house; they are getting some warmth coming from walls as well as sun (they are facing South).

Last edited:
I have found that it's not necessarily the cold winters that affect the Vinefera grapes in Utah, it's the regular late frosts (mid may is common) and cool early season. Either it's frost killed buds or not enough growing degree days to get to full ripeness. I'm excited to see how your winemaking goes. I love Saperavi as well

I know there's lots of different techniques out there. I found this video which I'm assuming by the name of the guy is from Georgia. My favorite part was the gloves on the carboys. Watching these videos using traditional methods makes me wonder sometimes about all the additions added to modern. it's a nice reminder that wine can be as simple as you want it to be

Sanitation right out the window.

Watched the second video when in fact he did use his feet. Any one ever taste wine made like this?
I believe this method adds more yeast in addition to the natural one that is found on grapes🤣 The answer to your question is "I am not sure". We were buying glass jars of homemade wines one summer (long time ago) while on vacation (Carpathian Mountains,1990?).

Back