K-meta at first transfer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I forget, does one typically add more K-Meta at first transfer? I have 6 gallons of plum must in a 10 gallon container. Starting Brix was 24 and the SG is down to 1.010 after 5 days so it it time to filter out the pulp and transfer to a carboy. Should I be adding a another dose of K-meta during this transfer or is that too much too soon? I added K-Meta when I first set up the must.

I forget, does one typically add more K-Meta at first transfer? I have 6 gallons of plum must in a 10 gallon container. Starting Brix was 24 and the SG is down to 1.010 after 5 days so it it time to filter out the pulp and transfer to a carboy. Should I be adding a another dose of K-meta during this transfer or is that too much too soon? I added K-Meta when I first set up the must.
I do not make fruit (other than grapes) wines, but when I do my first transfer off the gross lees, I do not add K-meta. You still have some sugar in the wine to be converted to alcohol so I would wait until fermentation is complete.

Also, why did you add K-meta when you set up the must? Were you worried about indigenous yeasts?

It's common to add K-meta prior to inoculation to level the playing field for commercial yeast, which are SO2 tolerant.

Unless I encounter something like H2S, I don't add K-meta until fermentation is complete. Near the end of the ferment the yeast slows down, so K-meta is more likely to have an adverse effect. Plus the yeast is totally dominant at that point, so it's unlikely other microorganisms will take hold. Also, it's actively degassing so O2 is not a problem (yet).

Back