Cellar Craft LR Tempranillo Garnacha - Yeast Swap

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
This kit comes with EC-1118 and I'm thinking of swapping it out. I've reviewed the docs on MoreWine, and RP15 is one of the recommended yeasts for Grenache. I happen to have some, so I'm leaning toward using that. Any reason not to?

Last edited:
Sounds like a good yeast choice. I bet the wine will turn out nice. Did a lot of oak come with the kit?

Boat boy, since you guys brought up some good points, I went ahead and checked with George and sure enough he had one on hand and I got it yesterday. I think I'm going to basically follow the directions with the exception of a little bit more aging. Maybe a little bit of oak but I haven't really tweaked anything yet. Boatboy, maybe we can trade a bottle later on and see the difference

Boat boy, since you guys brought up some good points, I went ahead and checked with George and sure enough he had one on hand and I got it yesterday. I think I'm going to basically follow the directions with the exception of a little bit more aging. Maybe a little bit of oak but I haven't really tweaked anything yet. Boatboy, maybe we can trade a bottle later on and see the difference

That sounds good. I probably won't start mine for another month, but this time next year should be good for a trade.

Not at all. A tiny 30g packet of Light American chips. I'll definitely be supplementing that. :n

I'm a little surprised at that...would have expected more. Not that Vineco really said anything about the oak level of any of the LE wine kits this year.

I'm a little surprised at that...would have expected more. Not that Vineco really said anything about the oak level of any of the LE wine kits this year.

Interesting. I just looked at Georges site and it has the oak listed as "medium" and oak intensity at 2 out of 5. I know those are somewhat subjective, but...

Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a good wine.

Interesting. I just looked at Georges site and it has the oak listed as "medium" and oak intensity at 2 out of 5. I know those are somewhat subjective, but...

Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a good wine.

I'm sure a little barrel time won't hurt!

T'was the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even the cat
The stockings and tree were decorated with care,
In hopes that Santa Claus soon would soon be there.
The wine maker was nestled all snug in his bed
While visions of wine barrels danced in his heads...

I kicked this one off a couple hours ago. I didn't have the RP15 I thought I had. So I ended up pitching D-254.

Back