Measuring a 6 gallon bucket (when 6 should be 6)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a new brew bucket.
The guy at my LHBS told me he had measured the bucket and the inside ridge was 6 gallons.
However this morning I decided to measure it.

First I used a 1 quart measuring cup filled up four times dumped it in the bucket, I was just shy of the 1 gallon line.

Then I used the 1 quart measuring cup to fill up a small pale up to a gallon, I then used this bucket to fill up 6 gallons in the brew bucket.

both times the big bucket was short on at 6 gallon mark
I was probably about a half an inch under the inside Ridge which I was told would be the 6 gallon mark.

So is it possible that LD Carlson could manufacture buckets that are all different in their 6 gallon measurements.

Or is my shaky hands and non keen eye sight and my measuring instruments off?

ImageUploadedByWine Making1410013700.141793.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Some people recommend measuring by weight. A US gallon seems to weigh 8.345404 pounds.

(Don't forget to weigh the pail first.)

Steve

If 6 gallons ends up at very top you can split 6 gallons among 2 buckets. This way you won't have overflow during fermentation.

Measure by weight or volume? All you want is a full carboy in the end.

I found using 10 gal buckets work best.I took a 6 gal carboy , filled it with water then dumped in 10 gal one and marked the fill line

I found using 10 gal buckets work best.I took a 6 gal carboy , filled it with water then dumped in 10 gal one and marked the fill line

The problem I have is that I have found my 6 gallon carboy is not really a true 6 gallons.
This is why I got rid of most my 6 gallons, because after I made 6 gallons of wine I still had too much air space in the carboy.

According to the instructions on the bucket, 6 gallon is the lowest ridge on the bucket, so I have plenty of extra space!

I can try measuring!

You definitely want to start with 6 gallons. After fermentation you are left with 5 1/2 gallons. Enough for a 5 gallon carboy, one or two magnum bottles, maybe a 750ml.

After it's cleared you'll have 5 gallons. Maybe a small bottle or so. Better than topping off.

Well, I have issues with using a bucket for fermenting unless you're doing VERY small ferments. When using cultures that are big foamers, like Montrachet, you need 18-20" of headspace for all that foam. I really favor small brutes--like 20 gallons--for small ferments. Morewine also sells larger plastic fermenters--they have a 10 gallon, and a 20 gallon but the prices are more than a trash can!! We use our 20 gal brute ALOT. Then you also have plenty of space for stirring or squeezing bags, if you bag your fruit.

Oh--------well, it's time to acquire some 1 gallon jugs!!!! I don't think it's the best practice to try to make a 6 gallon ferment equal 6 gallons. You should focus on less water dilution, if that's what you're doing to equal the 6 gallons, and focus more on wine quality and putting it into whatever works for the secondary. The secret is having lots of glassware. And maybe some marbles.

Kitchen equipment is NOT accurate. I did the same thing you did, and was way off. I then weighed a gallon of water, and did it again. The ridge on the bucket was spot on.

I use 6 gallon carboys for Secondary. I figure the CO2 in the wine protects it. Later, I transfer to 5 gallon carboys, or top off the 6 gallon with marbles.

Note: The 6 gallon carboys are great for kits with f-packs (like Island Mist). In those kits, you make 6 gallons of wine, and then add the f-pack, so you end up with more than 6 gallons.

I think regardless of how much you start with, after each racking you're going to be left with less. So personally (as others have said) I keep different size carboys, as well as marbles on hand. So in general your fermenting pail doesn't have to be exact because the end is going to be less.(except for when f-paks are added in mist wines ;) )

One of my best wine making investments is a bung and air lock that fit a wine bottle 750 and 1500ml

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I use a 6-1/2 gallon bucket and a 3 gallon stainless steel pot for fermenting in. I added a gallon of water to these and measured the depth of the water and marked them by the gallon according to the inches per gallon. I use 5 and 3 gallon plastic carboys and 1 gal, 3L and 1.5L glass also for my extra's.

As far as measuring goes, when making a kid I add the kit ingredients and then add the extra 1gallon+ (.5 with bentonite, . 5 after and then a little more there after)

I do need to measure when making Skeeter Pee or Berry wine, since I add 5 or 6 gallon than add berries.

Since I fill in the kitchen and walk it down to the basement I need my fermenting bucket to tell me when I have hit my desired mark.

That being said I ferment in the bucket . Secondary is in a 6 gallon carboy and then rack down to 5's, 3, 1's, 1/2's or bottles!

I did the same with 2 supposedly 6 gallon glass carboys. Neither were 6 gallons, but why worry about a little bit. If my hydrometer tells me 1.092, who cares if it is 5.9 or 6.1 gallons. Winemaking is not and will never be a 6 sigma process. Just slow down and enjoy it.

... Winemaking is not and will never be a 6 sigma process. ...

Never say never! Six Sigma Ranch and Winery
smilie.gif

My bung wont fit:po

It's not big enough, it will fit my 180ml bottles but not my 750 ml:se

Back