Mulberry/grape blend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalburn

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I've en lurking here for a while, and have learned a lot so far. So thank you all for that.

I've been picking mulberries for a while, and have about 24 pounds in the freezer, but my trees are close to running out. By everything I've read, you need about 6 pounds per gallon, so I have enough for 4 gallons. I know you are supposed to add some grape concentrate for body, but would it be too much to add enough concentrate for 2'galloms to add to my 4 gallons worth of mulberries? Would that be a good blend? Or would it make a weak grape wine?

I imagine the only reason you want to make six gallons is that you have a six gallon carboy? You can purchase a three gallon carboy and one gallon carboy if that is an option for you? Anything goes as far as winemaking goes.

Last edited:
Yeah. The wife bought me the big kit for bday/fathers day. I was only intending on a one gallon kit, but oh well. I wouldn't mind making 6 gallons, and would prefer to keep costs down at the current moment. I think my LHBS only has 5 and 6 gallon carboys.

Just keep in mind that the more mulberries you use, the return is an increase in the mulberry taste in your wine. The more white grape juice you use will give the wine more body and less mulberry flavor.

Would using blackberries be a better idea? May not be able to get enough fresh, so frozen would have to do.

blackberries and mulberries are close to the same..just a little different taste...not much though.
i use 1/2 mulberries and 1/2 blackberries in my jam and jelly and its excellent.

The real key to making good wine is good fruit. It's easier to make good wine from quality fruit then make good wine from poor fruit. There is no reason you cannot make mulberry/blackberry wine. You can extract the flavors from the fruit a multitude of methods. This includes pressing, cold or hot water soaking, juice extracting and fermenting on the pulp. That is part of what makes winemaking so much fun. It can be much like a chess match, every creation is never the same.

Back