My alcohol level is too high

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dav

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I got 400+ pounds of Primitivo grapes last year that were picked a little late in the season. They were 28 brix and I diluted them down to 25. Even at 25 brix the alcohol came out a little too high. It has a heat sensation when you drink it. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can correct this?

Thank you,
Dave

This will probably sound like a horrible idea, but would just a little bit of sweetness help with the burn?

Another option is to not bottle yet, but make certain next year's batch has less alcohol and blend the two. And this could be a totally different variety you make and blend.

This will probably sound like a horrible idea, but would just a little bit of sweetness help with the burn?

Another option is to not bottle yet, but make certain next year's batch has less alcohol and blend the two. And this could be a totally different variety you make and blend.
Thanks, sweetening is an interesting idea. I might do a bench trial to see the minimum I can do that will tone down the alcohol but not be perceivable.

Glycerin may help as well. And while backsweetening is not typical for Zin, a very light backsweetening may help while making the wine off-dry.

Time is also a factor -- I made 2 high ABV wines in 2019, and it took 4 years but the one is better.

If you blend with a new wine, I suggest letting the new wine set on the skins for a least a few days after fermentation completes. A heavier bodied wine can balance more alcohol.

Glycerin may help as well. And while backsweetening is not typical for Zin, a very light backsweetening may help while making the wine off-dry.

Time is also a factor -- I made 2 high ABV wines in 2019, and it took 4 years but the one is better.

If you blend with a new wine, I suggest letting the new wine set on the skins for a least a few days after fermentation completes. A heavier bodied wine can balance more alcohol.
Thanks, this is great information

What temperatures during fermentation if got above 28C or fermentation was too fast some strong flavors will persist no. matter what the ABV is I aim for 14% ABV in my wines but the alcohol isn't as noticeable. when I ferment slow and cool and back sweeten.
if it really is too strong and can't get fixed you could raise alcohol more and sweeten and make a port.

add some chocolate or tea for tannins, adding some rich heavy notes can balance the sharp burn sometimes.

I'd take a few 100 ml samples and experiment. add different all chips and refrigerate overnight can also see what it will taste like with more time.

I. find adjusting acidity lower ph a little and sweeten a little can make a difference

Back