newbie Here: Messed up my first frwsh grape batch - Learning Experience

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all.

Just so you all know my experience, I have been making wine for a coupme of years so far. Started with wineexpert and vineco kits which turmed out great. Then tried frozen grape must from Wine Grapes Direct. This also turned out great! Found Label peelers Finer Wine kits these were also great.

This year I am embarking in using fresh grapes for the first time. Found a farmer close by that had Zinfandel grapes nearby. We had to pick them. My wife diaghter and I picked grapes for the first time. This vineyard is not a pro vineyard so the vines were not trimmed (canopy trimming) and the grapes were not trellaced. So we had to dig in a grape bush to pick grapes. Well we took bunches of grapes that were not fully ripe as we didn't know better and there was a lot of greenies in the bunches as well.

After picking, destemming and crushing at the vineyard (sulfite was added then as well). I brought them home and checked the brix. 17 brix. Yuck. Added sugar to get them to 24.

Here is where things went terribly wrong. Ph was 3.2. thought I would try to raise the PH to the 3.3-3.5 area so Instesd of adding potassium Carbonate, I added tartic Acid. Yep, PH dropped to 3.0. Figured I would let it ferment and see where it end. Really strong fermentation. Ending PH was 3.12. need to raise it to over 3.2 in order to do malo. ferm. added potassium Carbonate. Waited 24 hours and now its at 3.8 (oh crap!).

Pressed grapes and now letting things settle for 24-48 hours and will rack and check Ph again. Hoping to get it down to 3.3 or so and then try cold stabilizing to see what happens. Pretty much assuming its a dumper. Which is fine because I learned alot.

What did I learn -

1) make sure the grapes you pick are super ripe with a PH of at least.22 brix.

2) if the PH is 3.2 leave it alone! 3.2 is fine and a stable PH and you can always raise it in the carboy later in smaller quantities.

3) Cold Maceration is your friend. I now have a garage fridge for Cold maceration before fermentation.

4). Don't sweat the small stuff. Drink some wine and chill the F out..lol

Well worth the $300 I spent on these grapes. Looking forward to the next batch of grapes later this month.

Cheers!

Last edited:
welcome to WMT

a few extra lessons * patience, try half of what you expected and recheck * taste the grapes as you pick, you will quickly learn sweetness versus color, * pH 3.2 isn’t that bad if you are in the Midwest, * total acidity controls taste more than pH, * numbers are a guideline, taste is what matters.

Yes this is a good lesson. I would finish it out, there are probably more lessons.

welcome to WMT

a few extra lessons * patience, try half of what you expected and recheck * taste the grapes as you pick, you will quickly learn sweetness versus color, * pH 3.2 isn’t that bad if you are in the Midwest, * total acidity controls taste more than pH, * numbers are a guideline, taste is what matters.

Yes this is a good lesson. I would finish it out, there are probably more lessons.
I am planning on letting it go to see what happens. Its really tart now even though the PH is 3.8. i'm in Southern California.

Lesson #5: Buy grapes from a vineyard that is growing wine grapes.

Trellis training, canopy management, cluster thinning, etc. are all part of growing better quality grapes. It's likely the grapes you purchased are the quality of table grapes, which can work but generally make a lesser wine.

Lesson #6: Don't give up too quickly.

You have just pressed the wine. At this time it is nothing like it will be in 3 months. As David said -- patience.

Lesson #5: Buy grapes from a vineyard that is growing wine grapes.

Trellis training, canopy management, cluster thinning, etc. are all part of growing better quality grapes. It's likely the grapes you purchased are the quality of table grapes, which can work but generally make a lesser wine.

Lesson #6: Don't give up too quickly.

You have just pressed the wine. At this time it is nothing like it will be in 3 months. As David said -- patience.
Good advice. I will let it go and see what happens. Racking off of gross lees tomorrow and will check PH then too.

Thanks for sharing! No matter the result, the experience of picking grapes is very rewarding.
FWIW, during our picks, we always have one person sampling the various areas of the vineyard with a refractometer. He/she can then adjust you during the pick (pick on this row, pick at this end of the row, pick on this side, pick at the bottom of the vines, pick the shrunken ones, etc.). If the Brix is too low at the beginning of the pick, they can tell you to pick more raisins to balance. You get the idea.
Spouses are great at being the designated researcher. Last time, we called her the “queen of weights and measures”.

Thanks for sharing! No matter the result, the experience of picking grapes is very rewarding.
FWIW, during our picks, we always have one person sampling the various areas of the vineyard with a refractometer. He/she can then adjust you during the pick (pick on this row, pick at this end of the row, pick on this side, pick at the bottom of the vines, pick the shrunken ones, etc.). If the Brix is too low at the beginning of the pick, they can tell you to pick more raisins to balance. You get the idea.
Spouses are great at being the designated researcher. Last time, we called her the “queen of weights and measures”.
I like that. My wife would be awesome at that and supervising. 😂

I share your pain. I did the same ph yo-yo you described. It sounds like you were trying to adjust the ph without knowing the titratable acidity which is what I did in 2021. If you are trying to adjust the acidity you need to know the starting acid level in grams per liter . Then you can use a calculator to decide how much adjusting is needed and then use 1/4 of what’s recommended . I use potassium bicarbonate with good results.
So I ended up giving my 2021 wine to a friend to make brandy it was that or throw it away.

Back