Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandhelp

Junior
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has some experience with this. I’m an amateur home winemaker and have never seen this before.

I’ve got a Zinfandel going right now, started from grapes, roughly 200lbs. Pressed 3.5 weeks ago, inoculated for MLF and never added kmeta (after the initial dose pre-yeast).

The flavor profile is lovely, I was happy with my MLF (a first for me, have never inoculated for this before), and decided to rack it a second time onto some kmeta solution (1 campden tablets per gallon).

As soon as I racked it, there was a significant amount of fluffy lees that precipitated out. There are also small white particles floating completely suspended within the wine, stationary unless I move the carboys. Four days later (now), it seems that some of these recently rode some bubbles up to the top and scared me about infection, but I’m almost certain it’s not infection. I had a litre of leftover wine at racking after downsizing which didn’t get any kmeta and has been sitting on my counter top with much more oxygen exposure, and it’s perfectly clear. No evidence of infection. Also no real off smells in the sulphited wine either. Am I nuts? Is it infected? Please help.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has some experience with this. I’m an amateur home winemaker and have never seen this before.

I’ve got a Zinfandel going right now, started from grapes, roughly 200lbs. Pressed 3.5 weeks ago, inoculated for MLF and never added kmeta (after the initial dose pre-yeast).

The flavor profile is lovely, I was happy with my MLF (a first for me, have never inoculated for this before), and decided to rack it a second time onto some kmeta solution (1 campden tablets per gallon).

As soon as I racked it, there was a significant amount of fluffy lees that precipitated out. There are also small white particles floating completely suspended within the wine, stationary unless I move the carboys. Some of these recently rode some bubbles up to the top and scared me about infection, but I’m almost certain it’s not infection. I had a litre of leftover wine at racking after downsizing which didn’t get any kmeta and has been sitting on my counter top with much more oxygen exposure, and it’s perfectly clear. No evidence of infection. Also no real off smells in the sulphited wine either. Am I nuts? Is it infected? Please help.
IMG_3592.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpeg
    IMG_3597.jpeg
    2.4 MB

Latest posts

Back