Other Preventing/reducing oxidation during primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems that the normal method these days is to let your wine ferment for a few days and then hammer down the lid of the primary, which allows a protective layer of CO2 to form and prevents oxidation while allowing extended contact with the skins. I have a heck of a time getting the lid off when the time comes. It's the hardest part of winemaking for me. Has anyone tried any other methods? My husband suggested floating a barrier material, like the middle part of a bucket lid, on top of the wine, so it doesn't have contact with oxygen. Would that work? Any other ideas? I'd be grateful for any suggestions (other than ask my husband to take the lid off for me).

If you float a material on top as a barrier, it needs to be food grade AND form a tight seal. If any part of the wine has contact with the air, the barrier is not working.

When the SG is down to 1.010, put the lid on top of the towel, but don't try to snap it down.

The wine is outgassing heavily during fermentation, and for a period afterward. Excess CO2 will escape through the towel in that slight space between the bucket and the lid. As long as the wine is outgassing, it's safe enough.

While I would not do a 6 week EM using such a method, doing a 10-14 day start-to-racking period will be safe enough.

I use Fermonsters, I have 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7g sizes. They work great for maintaining an airlock while still accepting skins in cheesecloth, like you get with FWK kits. Primary is still done in buckets, but once the SG gets to 1.010, it goes to a Fermonster.

Skins or any solid like wood in contact with air creates a risk for mold growth. That said there were some historical fermenters which used a wood plate to submerge the skins in a tank. For home I like polyethylene cutting boards that can be cut to match your container/ have small holes drilled to let gas and liquid movement. A second option is put solid in a bag and weigh the bag down.

The title of the thread is preventing oxidation. My answer is to remove all solids somewhere around 1.050 which may not be your goal. Basically any time you open a fermenter you are adding a 100% fresh air environment. A red produces gas and has tannins (antioxidants) so it can survive but country wines and whites need to be (anaerobic) closed to retain gas.

Last edited:
Normally one would ferment in an open fermenter until fermentation is almost over, then press and strain or filter the must into a carboy with an airlock. During and just after fermentation oxygen exposure isn’t too much of a worry due to the co2 in the wine. If you’re doing an em after fermentation you could put some clear plastic on the bucket and seal it up with electrical tape.

If you’re doing an em after fermentation you could put some clear plastic on the bucket and seal it up with electrical tape.
Dry ice is another option; hang a little mesh bag with some dry ice over the side of your fermenter, cover with a lid (doesn't need to be completely airtight) and the CO2 will blanket your grapes. It will eventually mix with air by diffusion, so you'll have to replenish the bag every day or so untill you press out.

Back