Sanitizing equipment with Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsp

Reaction score
I clean all of my glass carboys with PBW and rinse thoroughly.

I typically use Kmeta to sanitize. The current bag of SO2 I have says:

• 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons as an antioxidant
  • 2 oz per 1 gallon as a rinse
To sanitize carboys, I usually squish around Kmeta, but I'm not sure how much I should be using. I also sanitize my carboy caps and airlocks.

That 2 oz per 1 gallon doesn't sound nearly as strong as I mix it up, but I haven't measured exactly. I use 2 very full tablespoons plus 1 very full tablespoon of some acid (I have used tartaric, citric, and acid blend all without issue) in one gallon of water. Then to sanitize I pour about two or four cups into the carboy, slosh it around, put a bung without a hole on it and let it sit for some time. Is the sulfur being off-gassed that kills everything.

That 2 oz per 1 gallon doesn't sound nearly as strong as I mix it up, but I haven't measured exactly. I use 2 very full tablespoons plus 1 very full tablespoon of some acid (I have used tartaric, citric, and acid blend all without issue) in one gallon of water. Then to sanitize I pour about two or four cups into the carboy, slosh it around, put a bung without a hole on it and let it sit for some time. Is the sulfur being off-gassed that kills everything.
And when it comes time to sanitize the bottles use the same thing? I’m just asking because I was sure if the citric acid would have an impact on flavor if some residue was left in them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back