Spotted Lanternfly 2024

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just saw the first of the season here in Orange County NY.

For anyone affected, Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has a dedicated site for lanternflys, including management in vineyards.

Landing Page

Insecticides for Grapes (NY) Quickguide

Figuring out what I’m going to do here since I have six honey bee hives really nearby. Bands, traps, vacuum, destroy eggs, and… predatory biocontrol…? There should be a soundtrack with an evil-genius laugh after the last one… tiny wasps with “lasers”…?!

IMG_3761.jpeg

SLF have been my bane this year. Last year, I saw maybe three; this year, I can't pass a single vine without seeing at least that many.
I now carry a fly swatter as part off my tool kit for vineyard maintenance. I have long since stopped counting the number I kill per day.
So far, no obvious signs of damage to the vines, but it is just a matter of time.

Just saw the first of the season here in Orange County NY.

For anyone affected, Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences has a dedicated site for lanternflys, including management in vineyards.

Landing Page

Insecticides for Grapes (NY) Quickguide

Figuring out what I’m going to do here since I have six honey bee hives really nearby. Bands, traps, vacuum, destroy eggs, and… predatory biocontrol…? There should be a soundtrack with an evil-genius laugh after the last one… tiny wasps with “lasers”…?!

View attachment 115262
Thanks for the links.
This will help.

Beekeeper. Occasional mead maker, too.

Mostly we ignore them, though one grazed the side of my head when I was walking the dog this morning.

The only problem we see with Spotted Lantern Fly is that the bees bring in honeydew. It adds a smoky flavor to the honey. When we extract we segregate that honey and label it as SLF honey. People like it.

Apparently it is a problem for vineyards. What I don't know is which chemicals will harm the honey bees. When you decide on the pesticide note it's effects on honey bees. If necessary and the bees are yours, move them before you spray. If they belong to others, give them fair warning so they can make a plan for their colonies.

Like all invasives, it will take some time for mother nature to figure out where she wants this newcomer in the ecosystem. In the meantime we get to deal with it.

Well… I do like smoky flavor. That would make an interesting mead. I was wondering what the impact of honeydew would be with the bees.

I’ve been spraying with Stylet Oil which is honey bee safe, and haven’t seen any SLF on the vines yet. It’s a matter of time though. I’m afraid the first predator of my vines is going to be the squirrels. They are particularly voracious this year.

Back