Storing corks (Or how long do corks last?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought that batch and being delivered today.
I will put an open bottle with sulfite in it and then in plastic bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Sealed "Corkidor" with open jug of KMETA in the middle. I had 1000 corks last 2 years with out incidence. Am now on my 2nd 1000 using the same method.

Here's what you do,,,,,,, Get yourself a vacuum food sealer and pack up as many as you would use in one sitting,,,say @30/carboy. Problem solved!!! AND you can use it for food too!!!
Again, they sit on store shelves and in warehouses for who knows how long before you get them!!!

Last edited:
Corkadore but but like that vacuum bag idea as well even though, because I generally bottle with a combo of 750ML and 1.5L, I don't use a set number of corks each bottling.

I googled, and I searched, but could not find a direct answer for this! I am considering buying 1000 ct bag of agglomerated corks. That many would last me many, many years. If I separate them and store in individual bags, do they have a shelf life?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VFXY3C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would seriously consider going in with someone else to buying half of them from you. When you say many, many years, I wouldn't do it. Either buy fewer corks or split them up. Since they are not personalized, the risk isn't worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back