Want to up my low ABV Mango

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

back2it

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mango is great and the kids keep "borrowing" it, but it never ferments below SG 1.010 even stopping sometimes at 1.020. I normally start with an SG of 1.095 and a PH of around 3.2~3.5 ish, but even when I start with an SG of 1.080 it still stops at 1.010.

I have tried different yeasts and adding nutriants but it is just as stubborn as I am and stops. We are drinking it and it's nice but I would like to up the ABV a little.

Any suggestions on how to get it to ferment further?

Thanks
Ray...

I’ve never done a mango so I don’t know if this is a finicky fruit. You might try lowering the ABV and ferment it dry, then back sweeten as needed per your taste, then fortify with Everclear. Fruit wines sometimes are sold at a lower ABV to maintain the fruit flavor.

My mango is great and the kids keep "borrowing" it, but it never ferments below SG 1.010 even stopping sometimes at 1.020. I normally start with an SG of 1.095 and a PH of around 3.2~3.5 ish, but even when I start with an SG of 1.080 it still stops at 1.010.

I have tried different yeasts and adding nutriants but it is just as stubborn as I am and stops. We are drinking it and it's nice but I would like to up the ABV a little.

Any suggestions on how to get it to ferment further?

Thanks
Ray...
Ray, what yeast are you using? Do you use the yeast dry or do you use a starter of yeast, sugar and water? What is the ambient temperature where you are fermenting.

As Bob notes, a straight forward solution would be to fortify it with additional alcohol in the form of brandy, vodka or grain alcohol (sold as "Everclear" here in the Colonies). If you go this route, be sure to bench test your additions and start with a small amount.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Try EC-1118 and make an overnight starter to get the ferment off to a roaring start. If EC-1118 won't ferment to completion, the problem lies elsewhere.

2) SG is not just sugar, it's a measure of all non-water constituents in the wine. For most wines these other things make a negligible difference, but for a few, it's more. Mango may be in that category.

3) When it ferments as far as it will, fine it with bentonite. Measure the SG before and after -- it may make no difference, or it may make a lot. I'm guessing here.

4) Follow @Rocky's advice and bump the ABV with a bit of EverClear.

I'm Using Mangrove Jacks MA33 or AW4 and the results are only 8%~9% abv so nowhere near the yeasts 14% capacity.

I do make a starter, normally start later in the day so I can add some of the must to it once it has started, leave overnight and pitch in the morning.

Fermentation temp is initially 21°c then down to about 19°c but then I bump it up at the end to 21°c again. The yeast packs says the temp tolerance is up to 28°c so maybe I'm way too low at the end.

Mango is my regular and ongoing project so I will try EC-1118 and see if it makes a difference. I have a batch that I am currently fining so I will check the SG after it clears and see if there is a difference. I will probably be able to see a difference by Tuesday.

It's not really about upping the ABV as I can control the abv by changing the OG but I would like it for ferment to an SG of 1.000 or lower if possible as I can then sweeten it to taste. Everything else that I'm make gets that low.

I am currently making 1 gallon batches and would like to make it in 5 gallon batches but reluctant to do so until I am sure of the outcome.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Ray...

I'm Using Mangrove Jacks MA33 or AW4 and the results are only 8%~9% abv so nowhere near the yeasts 14% capacity.
Try a white wine yeast from Lalvin or Red Star. My best guess is it's the yeast strain.

EC-1118 is the Terminator of yeast strains. It will ferment a rock if given the chance, and I keep a packet in the fridge to handle problem ferments, which is why I suggested it.

Mango might be one of those fruits that needs extra pectin enzyme.

The fermenting temperature is often kept below room temperature, especially for white wines where the aromatics are desired. I don’t think temperature is part of your issue.

Back