Cellar Craft When to rack while clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I have 2 CC reds with grape packs in the clearing stage now. Plan on letting them bulk age for a little while but was wondering when I rack?

So far I've racked after clearing at about 2 to 3 weeks. However as it sits longer I see dusting at the bottom. As far as the next racking, am I watching for a small sediment build up, am I just waiting 50 days (time period), or is it recommended to just leave it alone and let the sediment pack?

This leads to a KMeta question. After adding KMeta, sorbate, etc, I racked (w AIO) at about 3 weeks. If it is recommended I rack again within 90 days (due to sediment) of having added the KMeta, do I need to add more at time of racking?

Rack every couple of months at this point. ; a fine dusting of sediment won't hurt the wine.

I add KMeta every other racking ( about every 6 months while bulk aging)

My first racking is 6 weeks with sparkolloid as my clearing agent. From there I add a pinch of sulfite for 5 gallons and age 8-12 months. Then I rack again with another pinch sulfite, sir ate and back sweeten.

I usually rack at three days, three weeks and three months and three months thereafter until bottling. a 1/4 teaspoon K-meta per 5 gallons of wine is good for three week racking and thereafter each racking. Bottle when clear and wine is at your taste. back sweetening requires another addition of K-meta along with potassium sorbate.

Back