Where to buy fungicides?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureFarm

Reaction score
Where are people buying Captan and other sprays required to keep these grapes healthy? A quick search of the big box stores near me isn't turning up anything yet. Maybe its a seasonal and out of season... I'm in Central Illinois.

You can buy them at garden stores or on Amazon. I find Amazon to be great. Also mancozeb can be used at 30 day to harvest intervals in a couple states California and Oregon to my knowledge.

You can buy them at garden stores or on Amazon. I find Amazon to be great. Also mancozeb can be used at 30 day to harvest intervals in a couple states California and Oregon to my knowledge.
Mancozeb can no longer be bought in California without a pesticide applicators license. Which means no garden store or Amazon sales.

Mancozeb can no longer be bought in California without a pesticide applicators license. Which means no garden store or Amazon sales.
I buy it both on Amazon and I buy it at my local hardware store walk in the door walk out with mancozeb lol. Please do not post incorrect information I have bought it in California and in Arizona within the last 30 days. For grapes Manzate Pro Stick is good stuff.

I have never needed a license to buy any fungicide I wanted I even have bought some from the manufacturer.

I can see why you'd think that, when I attempted to buy it on Amazon I received a warning stating it cannot be shipped to CA. Curiously, I was able to buy it at the local Home Depot in Murrieta, CA. No clue why the discrepancy...

I find Captan at the local garden center. (I don’t bother with Captan for black rot)
I find Mancozeb at the animal feed store. (It is 60 days pre harvest so I only use it early season)

Sorry to hijack this thread for my own purposes...but I was wondering, what kind of PPE do you use when you spray this stuff? I am currently using neem oil and have a bottle of mancozeb unopened because it appears to be highly toxic per what I've read.

PPE? I don’t really use any. I have an extension wand and try to stay a meter away from the spray head. I also gauge which way the wind is blowing and stay up wind. (I am small 39 grapes) With apple or cherry I will spray downward from a ladder.

If I was smart I would keep N95 masks in the shed. They are efficient at keeping small droplets out.

Sorry to hijack this thread for my own purposes...but I was wondering, what kind of PPE do you use when you spray this stuff? I am currently using neem oil and have a bottle of mancozeb unopened because it appears to be highly toxic per what I've read.
It’s not highly toxic, basic goggles and respirator if worried about it buy any P100 respirator and long sleeve shirt is fine. Hell unless I know it’s bad I use a N95 sometimes for most sprays I use mancozeb in my vegetable garden for garlic as well in rotation with a systemic called Azoxystrobin.

Last edited:
PPE? I don’t really use any. I have an extension wand and try to stay a meter away from the spray head. I also gauge which way the wind is blowing and stay up wind. (I am small 39 grapes) With apple or cherry I will spray downward from a ladder.

If I was smart I would keep N95 masks in the shed. They are efficient at keeping small droplets out.
You are smart

Well shoot now I feel foolish. Just went to the garage to look at the label and realized I have Captan, not Mancozeb. So my experience I described earlier was for buying Captan, and, what I've read being highly toxic is Captan as well. I recall seeing Mancozeb when looking for phomopsis treatment, but apparently I ended up buying Captan and never used it. For the record I'm not sure it's phomopsis I saw last year anyway so I'm trying the organic neem oil route for now. Thanks for the response guys, I personally use an n95 mask and a long sleeve shirt, but I struggle to use goggles because they fog up really quick, so I've been living on edge so to speak, spraying with sunglasses on instead. Probably better invest in some better goggles... But I was primarily interested to see what kind of respiratory device is reccomended.

Well shoot now I feel foolish. Just went to the garage to look at the label and realized I have Captan, not Mancozeb. So my experience I described earlier was for buying Captan, and, what I've read being highly toxic is Captan as well. I recall seeing Mancozeb when looking for phomopsis treatment, but apparently I ended up buying Captan and never used it. For the record I'm not sure it's phomopsis I saw last year anyway so I'm trying the organic neem oil route for now. Thanks for the response guys, I personally use an n95 mask and a long sleeve shirt, but I struggle to use goggles because they fog up really quick, so I've been living on edge so to speak, spraying with sunglasses on instead. Probably better invest in some better goggles... But I was primarily interested to see what kind of respiratory device is reccomended.
Neem oil is okay but it doesn’t work most of the time it’s lackluster, captan is more toxic but safe with protective gear. I would pass on the Neem oil.

Neem oil is okay but it doesn’t work most of the time it’s lackluster, captan is more toxic but safe with protective gear. I would pass on the Neem oil.
This is the first year I'm trying it. All prior seasons I only sprayed wettable sulfur which hasn't prevented some yet to be identified fungus that showed up around August last year. Additionally, I've had a dense infestation of leaf hoppers the last two seasons, which aren't that destructive to my knowledge but they are really annoying when the fly into your face when you work on the grapes. So far the neem oil has kept their numbers to a minimum, but hasn't completely eradicated them. The fungus on the other hand, is primarily isolates to a single merlot vine, which I've removed all the infected leaves in addition to the spray program. I'm guessing I may have to break out the captan in August as it seems like all the fungal problems really start to magnify post varasion. Here's a pic of the fungus to which I'm referring.

Attachments

• 20240521_092846.jpg
    20240521_092846.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
This is the first year I'm trying it. All prior seasons I only sprayed wettable sulfur which hasn't prevented some yet to be identified fungus that showed up around August last year. Additionally, I've had a dense infestation of leaf hoppers the last two seasons, which aren't that destructive to my knowledge but they are really annoying when the fly into your face when you work on the grapes. So far the neem oil has kept their numbers to a minimum, but hasn't completely eradicated them. The fungus on the other hand, is primarily isolates to a single merlot vine, which I've removed all the infected leaves in addition to the spray program. I'm guessing I may have to break out the captan in August as it seems like all the fungal problems really start to magnify post varasion. Here's a pic of the fungus to which I'm referring.
Neem oil is only good if you spray it before fungal issues show up once present it’s basically worthless

Neem oil is only good if you spray it before fungal issues show up once present it’s basically worthless

I can confirm you are right about that, at least for whatever this fungus is I'm seeing on my merlot. I'm fairly certain it's black rot. I'm gonna start spraying with Captan and cross my fingers this can be turned around.

Attachments

• 20240530_102530.jpg
    20240530_102530.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back