1,800-year-old wine cellar discovered near San Gimignano New findings about wine in Roman times

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemanden

Reaction score
A wine cellar around 1,800 years old has been found near San Gimignano in Tuscany. During excavation work in the Roman Villa Aiano, which dates back to between the fourth and seventh centuries AD, a large hall measuring 30 by nine metres was discovered. It was supported by six pillars. Thirty large buried vessels for storing wine were found inside and partially analysed. Chemical analyses of samples from inside the containers showed that they were coated with pine resin and pitch. These substances were used for wine production in ancient times. Based on their arrangement and the size of the room, the archaeologists assume that there were originally 50 of these vessels.

In the past two years, two rectangular storage containers and traces of a press were also found. The dimensions of the facility indicate that large quantities of wine were produced and stored in the rooms, which were not just for local consumption, explained the researchers. They have thus gained new insights into wine production and the wine trade during Roman times.

San Gimignano is a beautiful small city full of a large number of old tower houses (I think 14 survive). It is a UNESCO world heritage site. I spent part of my honeymoon there almost 25 years ago, it is surrounded by the Chianti regions of Italy, I say regions are all are Chianti DOC but some are also DOGC. Lovely place, great food.

Leaving San Gimignano for a rented house in Umbria (Gualdo Tadino) was where I had to have my lovely wife push the car as we had not figured out how to get the damn thing to go in reverse (had to lift a nob on the underside of the stick shift) and only I drove manual transmission. (I posted about that somewhere on this site awhile ago.)

Just curious but do you know what the vessels were made of? Stone, clay, or something else?
I would guess terra cotta clay Amphorae. They were used for transport and storage in those times. Indeed, there have been discoveries of amphorae from long lost shipwrecks and the contents (wine or olive oil) were not spoiled.

Was there any indication of what wine if any was found? I wonder if it was white or red. San Gimignano is famous for its Vernaccia white wine.

1723354767309.png

Last edited:
San Gimignano is a beautiful small city full of a large number of old tower houses (I think 14 survive). It is a UNESCO world heritage site. I spent part of my honeymoon there almost 25 years ago, it is surrounded by the Chianti regions of Italy, I say regions are all are Chianti DOC but some are also DOGC. Lovely place, great food.

Leaving San Gimignano for a rented house in Umbria (Gualdo Tadino) was where I had to have my lovely wife push the car as we had not figured out how to get the damn thing to go in reverse (had to lift a nob on the underside of the stick shift) and only I drove manual transmission. (I posted about that somewhere on this site awhile ago.)
It is a beautiful city with a magnificent square. I managed to get a parking ticket there because I over stayed the 30 minute limit (I was hitting an internet cafe'). I returned to my car just as the officer was completing the ticket and I feebly tried to explain that workmen were painting a bus parking rectangle on the road behind where I had parked and I did not want to run over wet paint. I have a vivid recollection of the police officer pointing to the sign and saying very forcefully, "Trenta minuti!" I feel Italy has one of the most magnificently attired police force in the World. They look straight out of a Gucci catalog.

I would guess terra cotta clay Amphorae. They were used for transport and storage in those times. Indeed, there have been discoveries of amphorae from long lost shipwrecks and the contents (wine or olive oil) were not spoiled.

Was there any indication of what wine if any was found? I wonder if it was white or red. San Gimignano is famous for its Vernaccia white wine.

View attachment 114777
As yet, I've no more info. I just copied it from the Wein Plus page.
What you were saying about the Italian police reminded me of an incident years ago in Sorrento.
In those days they had two different sorts of policemen, the Guardia who wore guns, and the civil police.
At a crossroads, a policeman, resplendent in light blue uniform, white shirt and tie, with a white pith helmet on his head was directing traffic. A motorist disobeyed his directions and drove past regardless. The policeman waited till the car was alongside and whacked it hard on the roof with his truncheon. The driver stopped, got out of his car, shouting and pointing at the dent in his roof. The policeman just tapped his nose with his truncheon, wiggled his fingers at the man and waved him on, unconcerned.
Enough said.:D

As yet, I've no more info. I just copied it from the Wein Plus page.
What you were saying about the Italian police reminded me of an incident years ago in Sorrento.
In those days they had two different sorts of policemen, the Guardia who wore guns, and the civil police.
At a crossroads, a policeman, resplendent in light blue uniform, white shirt and tie, with a white pith helmet on his head was directing traffic. A motorist disobeyed his directions and drove past regardless. The policeman waited till the car was alongside and whacked it hard on the roof with his truncheon. The driver stopped, got out of his car, shouting and pointing at the dent in his roof. The policeman just tapped his nose with his truncheon, wiggled his fingers at the man and waved him on, unconcerned.
Enough said.:D
The guys (and gals) that I was referring to were dressed in dark blue tunics with lighter blue pants, white sash, patent leather black shoes and what appeared to be a small Beretta pistol, probably a 9 mm. They always seemed to be in pairs and walked side by side, rigidly in step, erect as poles. They were always neat and clean and if they had a mustache or beard, it was neatly trimmed. Looked like they just left a guard mount. I never saw one who was out of shape, over-weight or sloppy. You immediately got the impression they were serious and not to be trifled.

Back