WineXpert Sediments in red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel81

Junior
Reaction score
I have done several Winexpert kits. The white wines are usually cleared fast and I can bottle directly and get no sediment after storing.
My red wines are however usually a different story. I follow recipe and add both bentonite, kiselsol and chitosan, all in quite high quantities compared to the amount of wine. Then after 6 weeks I rack the wine into another damejeanne and leave it for 3 months and then rack it again for another 3 months until I bottle it. However even after giving red wines 6 months extra clearing when I flip a bottle I have stored I can see there is a layer of sediment stuck on the inside of the bottle glass.
I'm thinking what is the best way to deal with clearing red wine? I'm not really a fan of bentonite since it creates alot of sediment which reduces the amount of wine I get after racking. Is there a better way of dealing with this like skipping bentonite, let the wine clear itself for like 6 months and then add the kiselsol and chitosan and leave it for another 3-6 months? Or is just minor sediment to be expected from kit wines? I.e. it will not affect the quality of the wine in a big way?

So you let the wine bulk age for 12 months and still get sediment in the bottle?

You also say you added bentonite and the K&C. Together? That could be a reason. They are two separate methods to get lees to drop out. Fining agents work by having a charge and binding with oppositely charged lees. If you added the agents together they might have bound to each other leaving the sediment unaffected.

Similarly, K&C might work differently if you change the order of the addition. I’ve seen conflicting directions about the order too.

I would let 9 months of aging occur before making any decision. At 9 months, if you think you need fining agents then do so, letting the wine sit for another month at the least, before bottling. What is too much sediment is subjective. I bulk age red wines for 12 months and usually do not get appreciable sediment. Even if I did it wouldn’t worry me. My wines are for everyday enjoyment.

So you let the wine bulk age for 12 months and still get sediment in the bottle?

You also say you added bentonite and the K&C. Together? That could be a reason. They are two separate methods to get lees to drop out. Fining agents work by having a charge and binding with oppositely charged lees. If you added the agents together they might have bound to each other leaving the sediment unaffected.

Similarly, K&C might work differently if you change the order of the addition. I’ve seen conflicting directions about the order too.

I would let 9 months of aging occur before making any decision. At 9 months, if you think you need fining agents then do so, letting the wine sit for another month at the least, before bottling. What is too much sediment is subjective. I bulk age red wines for 12 months and usually do not get appreciable sediment. Even if I did it wouldn’t worry me. My wines are for everyday enjoyment.
I follow recipe, i.e. I add bentonite at start then kiselsol after fermentation and chitosan the day after. After this I bulk age 5-6 month extra. According to recipe you can bottle directly.
My thinking is if wine is somewhat cleared itself by time it might be better to add k&c after lets say 6 months then to add it directly, since it might be less particles after the wine has cleared itself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back