2024 Lenoir (Black Spanish Grapes)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my 2024 Pickings from my one vine (more will be up next year). I picked 60 pounds of grapes, crushing them using my food mill. When all my vines are not being destroyed by deer or squirrels, then I might get a press. I have added the wine skins back into the fermenter. Color is very dark purple/Black and taste is very sweet. Brix was high, SG measured 1.100 before diluting to 1.090. Then I crushed up some Campden tablets, mixed in and let sit for 24 hours.
Tonight, I will add some yeast, But, what do you recommend? EC1118 is a workhorse, RedStar Claissique is also good. RC212?
I will also add some oak chips. American or French?
Last years wine (2023) is not bad, I used Classique 2022 was better EC1118. Open for suggestions. 20240728_205836.jpg

wine.jpg20240728_200317.jpg20240728_200308.jpg

Last edited:
Start looking now for a used press. Press size is dependent upon your expected future yield. I have a #40 press that is great for 300-400 lb batches. If your expected yield (in the future) is less, you can go smaller.

Next year plan on netting the grapes. Also, chicken recipes work great for squirrels. [Nope, not kidding.]

I'd not use EC-1118. As you said, it's a workhorse, but it brings nothing else to the table.

While I don't have experience with Black Spanish, I expect RC-212 will do fine. Red Star Montrachet and Pasteur Red are good choices, as are Renaissance Avante and Bravo.

If you use RC-212, increase nutrient by 50%, and add 2/3 up front and the remaining 1/3 at 1/3 sugar depletion. If it lacks nutrient RC-212 WILL produce H2S. Keep it happy and it will keep you happy.

Absolutely add fermentation oak -- 2 to 3 cups of chips or shredded oak. Go with American, as it's usually cheaper. In a test I conducted a couple of years ago, in the short term the oak type is distinct, but differences fade away with time so the type doesn't matter.

Aging oak? Overall I prefer Hungarian (not because my paternal ancestors were born there), but American and French both work fine. They will produce different flavors, there's no wrong choice.

In the future when I assume you'll have more grapes, age batches with all 3 types to see what you like best.

Start looking now for a used press. Press size is dependent upon your expected future yield. I have a #40 press that is great for 300-400 lb batches. If your expected yield (in the future) is less, you can go smaller.

Next year plan on netting the grapes. Also, chicken recipes work great for squirrels. [Nope, not kidding.]

I'd not use EC-1118. As you said, it's a workhorse, but it brings nothing else to the table.

While I don't have experience with Black Spanish, I expect RC-212 will do fine. Red Star Montrachet and Pasteur Red are good choices, as are Renaissance Avante and Bravo.

If you use RC-212, increase nutrient by 50%, and add 2/3 up front and the remaining 1/3 at 1/3 sugar depletion. If it lacks nutrient RC-212 WILL produce H2S. Keep it happy and it will keep you happy.

Absolutely add fermentation oak -- 2 to 3 cups of chips or shredded oak. Go with American, as it's usually cheaper. In a test I conducted a couple of years ago, in the short term the oak type is distinct, but differences fade away with time so the type doesn't matter.

Aging oak? Overall I prefer Hungarian (not because my paternal ancestors were born there), but American and French both work fine. They will produce different flavors, there's no wrong choice.

In the future when I assume you'll have more grapes, age batches with all 3 types to see what you like best.
Thanks! I did not think about adding nutrient at all. Just the sugar in the grapes!. I have both oaks, so didn't matter. This year my "new" vines did have some grapes on them but are only 2 years old. I do use netting, but the squirrels are smart and cagey. I made my fence higher, so the deer "should" not jump over the 7'. but then it is always something. BTW. The squirrels are tasty to my dogs. but this year there are so many and as stated, they are cagey.

Thanks! I did not think about adding nutrient at all. Just the sugar in the grapes!. I have both oaks, so didn't matter. This year my "new" vines did have some grapes on them but are only 2 years old. I do use netting, but the squirrels are smart and cagey. I made my fence higher, so the deer "should" not jump over the 7'. but then it is always something. BTW. The squirrels are tasty to my dogs. but this year there are so many and as stated, they are cagey.
I've had 3 instances of H2S in recent years -- addressing it quickly is best. Preventing it is better.

I’ve been dealing with bears, deer, raccoons and squirrels in my gardens for years and one of the most effective defenses has been an electric fence. The low wire for smaller vermin is about 4-6” from the ground, the higher wire for larger critters is about 36”. Attach strips of aluminum foil every 6’ or so and smear a little peanut butter on them. This helps train them to the fence and makes it more visible to them. One shock to the nose and they won’t come near it again.

I’ve been dealing with bears, deer, raccoons and squirrels in my gardens for years and one of the most effective defenses has been an electric fence. The low wire for smaller vermin is about 4-6” from the ground, the higher wire for larger critters is about 36”. Attach strips of aluminum foil every 6’ or so and smear a little peanut butter on them. This helps train them to the fence and makes it more visible to them. One shock to the nose and they won’t come near it again.
I have that! I use the conductive rope and not wire. The joyful noise that the critters yep when they touch the lines are a delight for my ears!!
How ever, I also have dogs, and they have contacted the wires. I cured that by using a proximity sensor that shuts off the fence when they go out to attack the buggers!! My first rear gate is high enough that they can go under it and into the back garden/ grape area.

Back