Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, my second vintage from Foch this year. They’re in there fourth leaf. They grow like a weed and then just shut down in August. They complete veraison uniformly. I made wine last year when they hit 26.5 brix. Wine so far is wonderful. This year Im going to let them go, see if i can get a better flavor profile.

Zinfandel has sized up. Brix=21 Harvest season is right around the corner!!!!
I am new to growing Zin and the berries are huge, compared to Cab or Merlot.

View attachment 114912
WHOA my zin is nowhere near that size per berry. But I will say that our average cluster has a lot more on it. Interesting differences.

Looking great!

The LaCrosse wine makers are having a picking event this weekend. A local winery is planning on having picking crews tomorrow, ?whites? Feels late, Briana has turned foxy and Edelweiss has been falling off vine.

Apple is also falling. Have cleaned up eight bushels off two trees. What will I do with all the volume? A productive year.

Last edited:
The LaCrosse wine makers are having a picking event this weekend. A local winery is planning on having picking crews in a week. Feels late, Briana has turned foxy and Edelweiss has been falling off vine.

Apple is also falling. Have cleaned up eight bushels off two trees. What will I do with all the volume? A productive year.
grind and press the apples with a bit of sulphite. Then chaptalize with cane sugar or unpasteurized honey with pectic enzyme nad nutrient with no water.

I have been picking at the local winery, plus a bit of my own. This year some varieties have suffered with rain several times a week/ less spraying than desired. A new favorite disease resistant hybrid variety is Louise Swenson. It has survived as well as my Briana and has less foxy flavor.

grind and press the apples with a bit of sulphite. Then chaptalize with cane sugar or unpasteurized honey with pectic enzyme nad nutrient with no water.

I should get 60 bottles of Russet apple wine unblended from just picked 300 lbs of apples so I'll chaptalize 2/3 of it with cane sugar and 1/3 of it with unpasteurized blueberry blossom honey to blend with 2nd run white wine ...first run grape skins and 1st run juice sediment with pectic enzyme flooded for 2 days with no sugar or water with a bit of sulphite and then repressed with no sugar or water, both wines treated with bentonite after 6 day active ferment and then blended into the non-honey version Russet Edelzwicker 2024 and the blueberry blossom honey version Russet Cyser Pyment 2024 with sulphite to ~25 to 30 ppm.

Last edited:
Foch is harvested.
Beautiful morning in Utah
Ph 3.83 Brix 26.6
16.4% alcohol. Blend it if you want table wine to get the alcohol below 15. It should make a really good port.

If you go for port which I personally would use EC-1118 yeast from a starter e.g. on apple juice with nutrient containing vitamin B. Your Foch look really good and should make a killer port.

Last edited:
Back