Other Adding tannin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I've noticed quite a bit of talk of adding tannin to the red kits. As a complete newbie, I totally get the idea of following strict directions in the beginning. Here's where the "However" comes in.
However, I have four reds in carboys bulk aging, recently cleared:
CC SC Red Mountain Cab
CC SC Yakima Valley Syrah
CC Sterling Tempranillo
RJS EP Super Tuscan

I intend to start 2 or so kits a month. And since I lean heavily toward the big reds that will take 1-2 yrs to enjoy, I don't necessarily want to follow strict instructions until I actually get to taste my results. I don't mind waiting longer if the tannin is worth it.

With it being so long to even my first good wine, I would love a little more advice on adding tannin.

On my list next are another cab, amarone, brunello, ovz zin...

The beauty of making wine, you can make it to your taste, if you want to think outside the box, I encourage it, but take small steps, always add half the recommended dosage and wait a bit for it to work itself into the wine, you can always add more.
My advice would be to get yourself some tannin riche, the reason for this particular tannin is that it is Derived from 100% toasted French oak, Tannin Riche imparts that astringency that you are looking for with a perception of sweetness, not a tart taste.
Test it in a glass or two of wine, using different ratios to see what you like, give the tannin a few minutes to work itself in.
In white wine, use 1/2 to 1 g per 5 gallons of wine. In red, use 1/2 to 3 g per 5 gallons.

I would suggest that wine with tannin samples sit for a few weeks and then taste. compare to the wine without tannins. visit Scott Labs web site for further research

The Brunello and the Cab you plan will likely love some extra tannin. As Tom says start with half the suggested dose. I use Tancor GrandCru tannin and usually add 1 to 3 teaspoons per six gallons of wine. If I do add tannin I will usually add 2 - 4 ounces of simple syrup to make the wine more approachable while the tannins are settling down. Seems to work for me. Good luck, got some good kits going there.

These are great threads and a new look at tannins for reds and whites.

I just ordered a different tannin from Brew & Wine Supply for white wines. I think I'll stock up with the mentioned ones in this thread also.

I know I added a tablespoon of tannin to my last Amarone and it helped with the mouth feel. It also had a Chapitalation process, which was adding dectrose, so I can see where the adding of simple syrup works.

I'm adding my 1/2 pound of white grapes to my 4 batches tomorrow. Also some oak, which I hope to add at least three different times prior to clearing.

Happy wine making to all.

I too am curious about simple syrup.

Is using tannin riche another route to achieving a spec of sweetness to offset the astringency similar to adding simple syrup to grandcru?

I make simple syrup by adding 2 parts of sugar to 1 part water. Heat but do not boil. Boiling drives the o2 out and the yeasties need it :r

I have just bottled a Cornucopia White Pear Chardonnay. Got it on sale from Amazon for $36. That's about $1.20 pre bottle:h So I did a little out of the box thing. I capitalized it with 5lbs of simple syrup (ABV 13%) and added 2 T of wine tannin to the primary. It's young but I think my friends the don't like wine will love it.

I think adding tannin to the primary gives a different flavor than adding to the secondary. Like oak does? It anyone could shed some light on this it would be great!:ib

I make simple syrup by adding 2 parts of sugar to 1 part water. Heat but do not boil. Boiling drives the o2 out and the yeasties need it :r

I have just bottled a Cornucopia White Pear Chardonnay. Got it on sale from Amazon for $36. That's about $1.20 pre bottle:h So I did a little out of the box thing. I capitalized it with 5lbs of simple syrup (ABV 13%) and added 2 T of wine tannin to the primary. It's young but I think my friends the don't like wine will love it.

I think adding tannin to the primary gives a different flavor than adding to the secondary. Like oak does? It anyone could shed some light on this it would be great!:ib

Thanks for your comments. I didn't know about not boiling the simple syrup.

Back