Arizona Zin Vineyard Verde Valley

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I netted my vines over the weekend and it looks like I was just in time. Over the last 5 days we've gone from mostly green to mostly red grapes. One of the pics shows a couple of small clusters that we didn't include in the nets and in the last two days the birds have found them. My understanding is that Zin is infamous for ripening unevenly so my plan is to pick as they are ready and throw in the freezer until they're all ready to crush. I've also bought a Vineyard Series zin kit from Label Peelers that I plan on using part of to ferment with my first smallish (70-80lbs. est.) crop this year. Equal to 3 of their Forte kits plus I added 9 packs of skins though I'm not really sure how much I'll be using with my grapes.

Side note: this was my first time buying from Label Peelers and there was a FedEx problem that made one of the packages of concentrate unusable. The owner @Matt_Pruszynski got back to me directly, figured out the problem and replaced the product right away. We even had an enjoyable discussion on winemaking in general. I've read here in the past that they are a good source and company and I just wanted to share that my experience was also excellent. Thanks Matt.

Will start taking some Brix readings this weekend but guessing mid august we'll start picking.
ZinAdditions.jpgCloseUp.jpgveraison.jpgdiffRipening.jpgbirdfood.jpg

I took some brix readings today and I'm between 18 and 19.5 on a small sampling. I've read that you can expect about 1 brix point per week, not sure if that applies accurately in AZ but I'm hoping to reach 24 so early sept if things keep going well. A few more pics, pretty much dupes of past pics but I'm really tickled and proud that they're doing so well for such young plants.
GrapesNme8-8-24.jpggrapeRows8-8-24.jpggrapes8-8-24.jpg

How old are these vines Mike?

I took some brix readings today and I'm between 18 and 19.5 on a small sampling. I've read that you can expect about 1 brix point per week, not sure if that applies accurately in AZ but I'm hoping to reach 24 so early sept if things keep going well. A few more pics, pretty much dupes of past pics but I'm really tickled and proud that they're doing so well for such young plants.
View attachment 114703View attachment 114704View attachment 114705

First Zinfandel harvest complete. I did not do a very good job netting the vines which allowed some of the grapes to get pecked which invited the bees to start feasting on them. Because of that we picked a little early (20-22 brix) but should be ok since we're blending with a Zin concentrate and can adjust the sugar levels before we start fermenting. We ended up with 72lbs. which seemed really good for a 2 year old planting.
We did have one work related accident. My head picker was stung on the hand. She's expected to make a full recovery. We also had a bird try to get through the netting to steal a snack or two and it was lucky enough to have us wander by in time to cut it loose and allow it to fly away unharmed.
Crush tomorrow am then were off and running with this years vintage.
ZinBird.jpgZinLoriSting8-24-24.jpgZinHarvest8-24-24.jpgZin8-24-24.jpg

I bought and planted them 2 years ago from 5 gal pots. Still real young.
How did they go with all that fruit? I only ask as I have some 2yo Sangiovese and some Antão Vaz that are about to budburst (in Oz) and I’m tempted to take some fruit off them this given the good growth I got from them last year. Thinking around 8-10 bunches each if they keep looking like they can hold them.

@meridaen the plants seem to mostly make the right choices themselves. The vigorous shoots put out nice clusters while the shoots that were smaller, less leaves etc. had clusters that wouldn’t develope fully. I’d drop the weaker in favor in more vine growth and hopefully double the shoots and grapes next season. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back