Vineyard Rodent Control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know several of my favorite wineries in the finger lakes had cats on staff. Instead of poison, put out several cans of cat food and some cat condos
View attachment 116003

An outdoor cat is definitely the best possible rodent control option, although we do have Coyotes around here so not sure how long that'd last. I've also been considering an owl box, although not sure if an owl would see it once it's installed and just show up and live there or how that actually works.

Owl boxes do work - we have several in our immediate area and they are all occupied. Doesn’t help with ground squirrels as they are mostly daytime creatures. We also have a pair of red tail hawks but they view themselves as too good to hunt ground squirrels.

Owl boxes do work - we have several in our immediate area and they are all occupied. Doesn’t help with ground squirrels as they are mostly daytime creatures. We also have a pair of red tail hawks but they view themselves as too good to hunt ground squirrels.
For me that might be the best option then, since ive got the squirrels under control. There appears to be Great Horned Owls in my area but all the boxes I saw on Amazon seem to be for smaller screech owls, so im not sure which box to buy, it's gonna take some digging.

The owl boxes here are normally for barn owls - and the opening is smaller to keep great horned owls out as they will eat the chicks.

If you want great horned owls, they nest in nests built in the crotch of trees, typically 30+ feet high. GH owls typically just move into a nest built by hawks rather than building their own. I’ve seen a couple of vineyards build cones out of chicken wire and filled with sticks which they then installed in trees. They said it took a year or two for birds to find and use the nests - and it wasn’t always owls as hawks also appreciate the help.

Just a report back on the squirrelinator traps. I’ve caught 18 so far and the activity has dropped off markedly. The hit rate in the traps went up when I started placing freshly cut apples in the traps - I use about 1/6th of an apple per trap, cut into three pieces. I also have rolled corn, oats and barley (aka COB) sprinkled on the ground inside and just outside the trap.

Back