Black Raspberry Wine Experiences ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
About 4 months ago Feb 1st, 2016) I started a batch of Black raspberry wine with some frozen wild black raspberries my wife picked last year.

4 liter batch (1gal + 7 1/4 oz) with 5lbs of berries.
2lbs sugar,
1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1/4 tsp Tannin
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (1/2 tsp in must 1/2 tsp in Yeast Starter)
1 Campden tab

Normal processing of:
Bag & mash thawed berries
Dissolve sugar (2lbs into 3 cups water)
Add Acid Blend, Pectic Enzyme, Tannin, 1/2 of Yeast Nutrient
Check - SG 1.112 Acid pH 3.67
dissolve & drop Campden Tab

Cover & Wait 24 hrs

Same time - Prep Yeast Starter with 1/4 tsp EC118 & 1/2 tsp Yeast nutrient
Set starter in warm area (65 degrees plus) for 24 hrs

Next Day recheck SG & Acid - Add Yeast and cover

AND NOW The Questions

This has been unlike any of my other wine batches. Not worried but interested to learn more. As this batched fermented and I racked it at each step the must had a quality none of my others have had. It left a rich dark purple clear coating on the containers. Not a stain or film but it just had this thickness to it that impressed me. Is there an actual name for this attribute/quality? I am assuming it's good because all along the way the flavor has been great!
Virtually no lees after the secondary finished (2/11/2016)
Final SG .990 = ABV of 16.1% and pH 3.63

It has been very clear (but dark) stable since then with 3 more rackings and only a trace of lees on the first of those.

Along the way I always left a little in the carboy in case I missed seeing lees. Back-sweetened those remains when I found them sediment free. Has anyone else had a blackberry clear that quickly? Has always, throughout had a very strong wild berry taste to it. It will probably be a love or hate it wine. Compared to a similar high ABV store bought concord grape wine, the taste will knock your socks off. At 16% A small glass goes a long way. Very stable each time with very little change in the pH SG (as one would expect) and the taste.

Sooo I decided to bottle it 3 weeks ago just after our vacation and before my surgery. Back-sweeetened to 1.002 with pH 3.42 and stabilized it. I know that's a rush to bottle but being a small batch and the flavor as strong and clear I couldn't resist this time. No plans to pop a bottle for several more months. Also had a full 12 oz left after all was done and it just keeps tasting better.
Anyone else have much experience with wild Black Raspberry wine?

Last edited:
I make 5 gallons of blackberry wine each year with Walker's blackberry juice. It is our favorite wine that has an awesome taste. My ABV is usually around 15% so it too has some kick to it.
Larry

I make 5 gallons of blackberry wine each year with Walker's blackberry juice. It is our favorite wine that has an awesome taste. My ABV is usually around 15% so it too has some kick to it.
Larry

Hope you gwt a chance sometime to use wild blackberries. There is a difference with them.

About 4 months ago Feb 1st, 2016) I started a batch of Black raspberry wine with some frozen wild black raspberries my wife picked last year.

4 liter batch (1gal + 7 1/4 oz) with 5lbs of berries.
2lbs sugar,
1/2 tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1/4 tsp Tannin
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient (1/2 tsp in must 1/2 tsp in Yeast Starter)
1 Campden tab

Normal processing of:
Bag & mash thawed berries
Dissolve sugar (2lbs into 3 cups water)
Add Acid Blend, Pectic Enzyme, Tannin, 1/2 of Yeast Nutrient
Check - SG 1.112 Acid pH 3.67
dissolve & drop Campden Tab

Cover & Wait 24 hrs

Same time - Prep Yeast Starter with 1/4 tsp EC118 & 1/2 tsp Yeast nutrient
Set starter in warm area (65 degrees plus) for 24 hrs

Next Day recheck SG & Acid - Add Yeast and cover

AND NOW The Questions

This has been unlike any of my other wine batches. Not worried but interested to learn more. As this batched fermented and I racked it at each step the must had a quality none of my others have had. It left a rich dark purple clear coating on the containers. Not a stain or film but it just had this thickness to it that impressed me. Is there an actual name for this attribute/quality? I am assuming it's good because all along the way the flavor has been great!
Virtually no lees after the secondary finished (2/11/2016)
Final SG .990 = ABV of 16.1% and pH 3.63

It has been very clear (but dark) stable since then with 3 more rackings and only a trace of lees on the first of those.

Along the way I always left a little in the carboy in case I missed seeing lees. Back-sweetened those remains when I found them sediment free. Has anyone else had a blackberry clear that quickly? Has always, throughout had a very strong wild berry taste to it. It will probably be a love or hate it wine. Compared to a similar high ABV store bought concord grape wine, the taste will knock your socks off. At 16% A small glass goes a long way. Very stable each time with very little change in the pH SG (as one would expect) and the taste.

Sooo I decided to bottle it 3 weeks ago just after our vacation and before my surgery. Back-sweeetened to 1.002 with pH 3.42 and stabilized it. I know that's a rush to bottle but being a small batch and the flavor as strong and clear I couldn't resist this time. No plans to pop a bottle for several more months. Also had a full 12 oz left after all was done and it just keeps tasting better.
Anyone else have much experience with wild Black Raspberry wine?
I'm curious how you ended up with 1+ gallon of wine when you only added 3 cups of water to the batch. I followed your recipe and I had about a 2/3 gallon after letting the mash ferment it's first week in the pot. Topped it with a whole bunch of filtered water but now worried it's going to be watered down too much.

This would've made sense if it were a berry with a high water content such as cherries.

I'm curious how you ended up with 1+ gallon of wine when you only added 3 cups of water to the batch. I followed your recipe and I had about a 2/3 gallon after letting the mash ferment it's first week in the pot. Topped it with a whole bunch of filtered water but now worried it's going to be watered down too much.

This would've made sense if it were a berry with a high water content such as cherries.
just guessing but i think @Scooter68 was talking about simple syrup.
Dawg

Latest posts

Back