Blueberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fly*guy said:
My last batch was very light bodied and about 12% ABV, would like to thicken it up a bit but it also fermented dry in just a few days 5 or 6 I believe (from memory), so I didn't get much use from the skins and pulp, I also had bagged them which also kept them from swimming with the rest of the juice. Only punched them down lightly once a day

Temp in the room for that batch was upper 70's, so I wondered if straining later and lower temps would help the process take longer and I would get better use of the skins and pulp that way..... what say you about this theory?
1st use 30# (for 6 gallons)of blueberries. This will add body and flavor
2nd add 3# of bananas for more mouth feel. Don't worry will not impart flavor
3rd add a F-Pac
4th Back sweeten.
What yeast do you plan on using? I use Red Star Cote des Blancs.

5-6 days on the skins and pulp is really all that is needed if you used the right amount of pectic enzyme. You could also add tannin for more body or even glycerin.

If you add bananas.... How do you do it? Just chop very ripe bananas? I do not have a steam juicer.

Hey Tepe... Do you recommend me to use them on the Blueberry recipe you posted for me a while back?

I would boil them in small amount of water then cool and add the "broth"

I make blueberry all the time and use "alot" of blueberry like around 35# and big F-PAC and back sweeten.

Remember when the more # per gallon the more body.

Your call on how YOU like your wine. The thing is not what I do butt, rather what YOU like.

We are here to "guide" you.

I like a fair amount of body. But I have never made a blueberry wine, Or even a fruit wine. I am still a newby. So I am going alot on your opinion for my first run, because I know you have had alot of feedback on your wines.

Thanks for the help and advise.

Goodfella said:
I like a fair amount of body. But I have never made a blueberry wine, Or even a fruit wine. I am still a newby. So I am going alot on your opinion for my first run, because I know you have had alot of feedback on your wines.

Thanks for the help and advise.
Since fruit can be pricey its best to get it when its in season where you live. Better yet go to a U-Pick or the farm for the freshest.

Sounds really good. I am wondering if using 5 lbs per gallon vs say, 2 or 3 as some recipes call for, significantly affects acidity ? If so, how do you adjust?

Update on this one....

Last time I worked on this one it was August 13. I added sulfite and oaked it. I left it in the wine oubliette (place of forgetting) for the last 3 months. I racked it this morning and snuck out a glass of dry. (decided to back sweeten to 1.015 FG). I think that will be a good level of sweetness to give it a better blueberry flavor. I'm about to resulfite it and sample the sweetened wine. Perhaps next year I will get more berries and do 6 gallons dry and 6 gallons sweet.

Looking to bottle in another month or two. I am very impressed with the results of using the steamed juice. The body is very good, and it has some pretty good legs as well. Flavor is well, lets say I like it a lot Jenny (sorry I watched Forrest Gump last night (again))

TYVM..... I'm going to have to send you a care package one of these days........

First250 said:
Sounds really good. I am wondering if using 5 lbs per gallon vs say, 2 or 3 as some recipes call for, significantly affects acidity ? If so, how do you adjust?

5#+ will give better body. As far as acidity by adding more fruit. It will be the same vs 3# to 5+# per gallon. Once you check the acidity (TA tester) I use acid blend to incerease to proper level.

Like tepe said, more fruit will give you a little more acidityand it depends on the fruit to say how much.

Put a cork in her, she's done bottled today. 31 750's and two little extra glasses. I think its going to be a killer bluesberry.

Added 1/4 tsp k-meta for good measure. Now to clean up the mess in the kitchen.......................

Pictures later..........

Looking back at my notes it finished at about 13% abv and I backsweetened it to 1.015, it also oaked with some American House toast for almost 3 months.

Back