Bottle aging vs bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read different ideas on this. Here are my results.

2021 cab sauv, even after 3 years in carboys the wine still tastes harsh. I was initially hesitant to bottle any because I considered it a waste of good bottles. But I have been bottling at various intervals and after just a few months in bottles the wine is very good. Conclusion: bottle aging makes a huge difference.

I posted earlier that about a year ago I did two batches of WildGrapes Shiraz. One I followed directions and bottled at ~ 4 week mark. the other I sat in a carboy for a year, then we bottled. Wifes likes the wine from the carboy better than the early bottled wine . I like the early bottled one better. They are close, but the carboy is smoother.

I posted earlier that about a year ago I did two batches of WildGrapes Shiraz. One I followed directions and bottled at ~ 4 week mark. the other I sat in a carboy for a year, then we bottled. Wifes likes the wine from the carboy better than the early bottled wine . I like the early bottled one better. They are close, but the carboy is smoother.
You sort-of illustrate that bulk vs bottle aging is not an either-or situation. I've noticed that for the wines I make, bottling after 4 months improves quality and bottle consistency, and for heavier wines, longer bulk aging is better. If you had bottled a batch at 6 months, you'd probably find it closer to the 12 month batch than the 1 month. Food for thought ...

It’s interesting to see how aging methods can influence the final product. My experience aligns with the idea that bottle aging can significantly improve a wine’s flavor. For my 2021 Cab Sauv, the transition from harshness to smoothness after a few months in the bottle was quite noticeable.

The comparison between early bottling and extended bulk aging is valuable. It seems that a hybrid approach allowing for some bulk aging before bottling might offer the best of both worlds, especially for heavier wines. Finding the right balance based on the wine type and personal taste preferences is key.

Cheers to continued exploration and improvement in winemaking!

Back