Bottling - to purge, or not to purge…

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many folks are allergic to sulfates, as is my wife. Any level of sulfate is too much. It is not a necessary ingredient in wine. If God wanted sulfates in the wine, it would be in the grapes.
Not to be completely argumentative, but you cannot make wine that has no sulfites. It is a naturally occuring byproduct of fermentation.

Many folks are allergic to sulfates, as is my wife. Any level of sulfate is too much. It is not a necessary ingredient in wine. If God wanted sulfates in the wine, it would be in the grapes.

You know, He may not have put it in the grapes, but He did make yeast such that they produces sulfites... i.e., some sulfites do occur naturally in wine.

I assume you mean sulfite, as sulfates are poisonous and not used in winemaking,

Also note that grapes DO contain sulfite. A net search will show that grapes contain a relatively low level of sulfite.

Back