Concord wine, help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix333

Junior
Reaction score
I'm harvesting for my second attempt at making wine with Concords. My first attempt I followed a standard recipe that came with my supplies and it was NOT good. I'm not sure where it went wrong but it just has no flavor. I'm willing to do a blend with other fruit. I haven't weighed the grapes yet but I have at least 4 quarts worth. Looking forward to reviewing your favorite recipes!

I'm harvesting for my second attempt at making wine with Concords. My first attempt I followed a standard recipe that came with my supplies and it was NOT good. I'm not sure where it went wrong but it just has no flavor. I'm willing to do a blend with other fruit. I haven't weighed the grapes yet but I have at least 4 quarts worth. Looking forward to reviewing your favorite recipes!
Hi Phoenix and welcome to the forum. I used to live in Roch-cha-cha (Fairport) when I worked for Kodak. We were across the street from Casa Larga Vineyards on Vineyard Hill.

Concord needs some back sweetening in order to enhance the flavor of the wine. I have only made it one time when I was getting back into wine making. I fermented it to dry (SG 0.995, hit it with sorbate and then sweetened it with simple sugar to SG 1.005). It was not bad and we enjoyed it mostly as a spritzer with club soda and ice as a Summer drink.

Four quarts of grapes will not give you a lot of wine. I usually estimate 14 pounds or so per gallon, so you may want to augment with another fruit or juice.

Back