Corkig

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frjen

Reaction score
When putting the cork in, do I need to use any lubrication ?

Hehe, you have a dirty mind :)
Just asked because the cork seemed to break a little when they were inserted

Sorry, but the response made me laugh! :D Seriously, it sounds like you may have old corks. Are you using a corker or trying to put them into the bottle by hand?

novalou, that was funny.
are you using the little red corker, slide a cork in and push down.
its very hard to do bec

Frjen said:
Hehe, you have a dirty mind :)
Just asked because the cork seemed to break a little when they were inserted

I have no idea what is dirty other than a little ear wax..... :)

All my corks are wet, not soaked, just wet enough to slip right into the hole.

Sorry, dirty mind came out a bit there...

I use a floor Corker. I spray some potassium metabisulfite into the bottom of a bucket, put some corks in a plasic collander, put it in the bucket, and put the lid on the bucket. This keeps the corks dry and the sulfite gas sanitizes them. I am not a cork soaker.

Why can't anyone talk about corking without having dirty thougts, shame ;)

Yes I'm using the red corker.

Frjen, I actually ended up making a corker out of a old jack handle, removed the red plunger on the hand corker, replace with a piece of wooden dowel, that is the correct length for corking, and boom..
corking away.
I send you a pic, after I make a few refinements.

The colander is a great idea if your concerned with sanitation, but if you're using new corks that should not be an issue. I will do that sometime too.

The cork should always be dry; any moisture that gets trapped between the cork and the glass can wick things in and out of the bottle. The seal is made by the cork expanding out against the inside of the neck, so anything else there will be a detriment.

Latest posts

Back