Corks and Corkers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I'm going to be bottling soon, the Dragon Blood is almost ready, and the Hard Cider will follow.
I have been looking at corks, and I've come across several that I think would fit my needs, but the whole issue of which floor corkers work the best and which can handle the widest range of corks.

I am looking at an Italian Floor Corker, from what I have read, it is the way to go without spending a ton of money, I once considered the handheld corker, but with near 60 gallons of wine that will need corking, this isn't even a consideration anymore.
The corks that I would like to purchase will need to last a min. of 2 -4 years.
Natural corks would be the best solution, but they are more expensive.
1+1 Wine Corks would fit my needs perfectly
Synthetic Wine Corks - I've heard that these don't work well in certain corkers?

What do you recommend based on the info that I've given?

Thanks!
Tom

I've used the Red Portuguese Floor Corker for about 6 years now and have put over 2000 corks through it without problems. I use #9 corks but haven't used the synthetics. The last time I checked, the red corker cost less and in my opinion works well. The Italian has brass compression jaws, but from what I've heard, they wear and need to be replaced on occasion too. When my red one wears out, I'll just replace the whole corker.

My experience with the port corker is similar to Lon's with fewer years/corks.

The synthetics I've seen don't meet the 2-4 year requirement. At least the advertised specs. don't.

I have agglomerates that have been use for 3+ years now and are fine. So far. Beyond 2 is beyond their stated spec also.

I agree that 1+1 seems to be the best compromise, although I haven't used them yet. I do plan to start using them when it's time to restock.

Latest posts

Back