Cranberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a recipe for wine from fresh cranberries? Had a request for one for whenever they put out the fruit around Thanksgiving.
@Rice_Guy would be a good brain to pick,
I make country wines but never cranberry, he'll have the low down on PH, and any other things that matter,
on my country wines I tend to use 4-5 lb per gallon of liquid, on strong flavored fruit like blackberries, to 10-12 lbs on lighter flavors like banana. ECT...
Dawg

Yes, you have to try cranberry! Delicious! It's on my yearly list now.

My last one used 6 lbs cranberries and 2 qrts organic juice. Starting pH was crazy low, 2.7! But by the time it was finished it climbed up to a reasonable and delightful 3.3. Yes, I was surprised. And it was my best batch yet!

As with most fruit, freeze the berries first.

I use 4-5 lbs. of cranberries per gallon of must. That's lower then other fruits, but cranberries have an intense flavor. I add the zest of several oranges and some chopped golden raisins.

Last time my pH started at 2.84, so I added a little Potassium Bicarbonate to bring it up to around 3.0. You should make a yeast starter to create a strong yeast colony to survive in the low pH environment.

Before bottling you will need to backsweeten. This has become a family favorite for Thanksgiving dinner.

Yes, you have to try cranberry! Delicious! It's on my yearly list now.

My last one used 6 lbs cranberries and 2 qrts organic juice. Starting pH was crazy low, 2.7! But by the time it was finished it climbed up to a reasonable and delightful 3.3. Yes, I was surprised. And it was my best batch yet!

As with most fruit, freeze the berries first.
for what volume?

for what volume?
One gallon. Crazy, especially for cranberries, but I tend to go high with all my fruit. I currently have a black raspberry (1 gallon) in primary, a step-fed dessert with 10 lbs black raspberry and 1 lb elderberry. First feeding was yesterday and so far the flavor is better than I hoped for!

To be a bit more precise - my primaries are usually 1.5 gallon, secondary usually reduces to 1 gallon plus 1 qrt, and going into bulk is 1 gallon.

Last edited:
thanks, that's what I assumed but thought it better to ask. I have tried twice to make a cranberry but neither turned out very good. will try again this year.
I shoot for 1 1/2 gallons but can never seem to hit my target when making 1 gallon,..... but I am getting closer.
Black raspberry/elderberry sounds great

Back