Do many of you can any veggies??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like the oil would be good, but how do you use the tomatoes??

I slice them and put out on a platter with a cheeseboard, pickles and crackers for guests, or a light brunch in summer.

put them on pizzas.. chop them into a green salad with feta..

add them to pastas ..make pesto with them...pretty versatile dried and packed in oil. they never go old and leathery or moldy this way.. just ensure you give them a good wriggle when putting them in the jars, to dislodge the air bubbles.

Allie

So far I've got about 30 quarts up, and have a few more tomatoes to go yet. First day the turkey cooker I had took a c**p on me and I had to do it all on the stove and it was rough.
The next batch I got my cooker going and it was much nicer.
I've canned a lot of tomatoes, squash (which is better frozen), green beans and even some pork. I've made salsa, some ketchup and spaghetti sauce that I put up in jars.
An out of season Moose,,, Troy, sounds like me and you would get along just fine.
Our white tailed deer in Fl. are pathetic compared to the deer in the rest of the country, but food on the table is food on the table. Not much compares to a fresh "backstrap" sandwich.

My brother works on a farm and still helps take care of me. He kills a few whitetailed deer every year and brings me some for the freezer, being my hunting days are over.
I've had Caribou, elk, bear and some antelope, but never any moose. What's it eat like?
Deep red meat like our deer. Does it have a strong flavor?
I actually prefer wild meat over dometic when I can get it.

Mose is actually extremely mild. No gamey taste at all, not really even a "unique" taste like venison. Bear of course is in its own class. Moose is quite good. If you didn't know you would have no reason to think it wasn't beef.

Ever had Buffalo? Thats about the closest comprrison I can offer.

Yes, actually I have. There was an old man not far from my house that thought he would raise some. Turns out the Florida heat didn't really agree with them and he eventually got rid of them.
He had a very large bull he wanted to have the head mounted, so he shot it and then butchered it. Had a guy out here take the head to a taxidermist. While fleshing out the hide they got over 90 pounds of good meat just from the head and neck part.
It was good.

Latest posts

Back