Does grenache oxidize easily?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie vino

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm thinking about doing making a grenache syrah blend this year, 2 lugs of grenache and one syrah. I read that grenache can be prone to oxidation. Is there anything I should do differently than the standard 1/4tsp kmeta per 5 gallons of wine every 3 months to prevent oxidation? Plan is to conferment both varieties then age in carboys for about a year. May or may not add oak. Usually rack it 3 times in the process( once 2-3 days after press, then after about 6 weeks then last rack about 3 months later, bottling happens prior to the next harvest usually). Any advise is appreciated. I enjoy rhone style blends so making my own would be fun.

Grenache from buckets is a nice in between polyphenol juice. As such I expect it to oxidize more than a heavy tannin Sarah and a low tannin Briana. , , , ie tannin is the variable. We have low flavor tannins as Blanc Soft and astringent flavor tannins as chestnut and oak flavor tannins. ,,, You can build it up.

Anyway with 1/3 Syrah and soaking on skins you should create several years of antioxidant polyphenol shelf life.

I grow and make wine from both Grenache and Syrah. I make a 100% Grenache as a summer wine and in a blend with the Syrah. I have not had any issues with oxidation but have heard it could be a problem. Just finished my last bottle of 2020 100% grenache and it still looked good. The 2 really help each other out in a blend.

@Rice_Guy nailed it, tannin related. The thinner skinned berries like grenache or pinot will naturally have less tannin and ability to fight off oxidation. The key is to keep containers full and with the proper amount of free SO2.

Back