East texas muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painterpat

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, first time posting.
I'm located in central texas and have plenty of access to mustang grapes this season but I'm planning a trip to east texas, Louisiana if I have to in search of muscadine grapes in August/September as a form of a week long vacation.

Was wondering if anyone in that area knew a good county or town that's a good place to go looking. I've heard they grow everywhere were they do grow, kind of like mustangs.

Last edited:
Is there a Texas grape growers and/or wine makers association? They may have a locator or listing.

Also, look for wine quality grapes. Table grapes will work, but will not produce as good a wine.

I live in central NC and Muscadine grows here and in eastern NC. I'll see signs on posts for Muscadine & Scuppernong, and occasionally the sign will have a note about "wine quality".

Is there a Texas grape growers and/or wine makers association? They may have a locator or listing.

Also, look for wine quality grapes. Table grapes will work, but will not produce as good a wine.

I live in central NC and Muscadine grows here and in eastern NC. I'll see signs on posts for Muscadine & Scuppernong, and occasionally the sign will have a note about "wine quality".
After trying every hint I could, I realized I can use Google Street view lol. I've got my route planned now. Thanks for the input. It's a 700 mile round trip so go na rent a van and bring 20 buckets to fill.

After trying every hint I could, I realized I can use Google Street view lol. I've got my route planned now. Thanks for the input. It's a 700 mile round trip so go na rent a van and bring 20 buckets to fill.
Are you trying to pick them wild? I find that the animals get to them very quickly once ripe, and they usually vine up the trees making the upper portion of the vine difficult to harvest. Been hunting and deer scouting in the August/ September time frame for over 40 years and finding them on the vine is fairly rare, at least in my experience.

Are you trying to pick them wild? I find that the animals get to them very quickly once ripe, and they usually vine up the trees making the upper portion of the vine difficult to harvest. Been hunting and deer scouting in the August/ September time frame for over 40 years and finding them on the vine is fairly rare, at least in my experience.
I'll be bringing a cane with a hook on it and a tarp so I'm hoping I can lay it below the vine and try to shake them off the higher branches. Mustangs here grow the same way. From the street veiw it looks like my target vines are going to be 10-30 ft

I'll be bringing a cane with a hook on it and a tarp so I'm hoping I can lay it below the vine and try to shake them off the higher branches. Mustangs here grow the same way. From the street veiw it looks like my target vines are going to be 10-30 ft
yup, same as here in Arkansas, tree tops,
they make a fine country wine,
Wishing you the best of luck,
Welcome to WMT
Dawg

Back