WM81 Fall 2024 Experiments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last fall's experiments proved that different strains of yeast may produce significantly different results, e.g., I used Renaissance Avante and Bravo in different batches of Cabernet Franc and Chambourcin, and the wines produced by each strain are different. Not necessarily better, but different.

I have no idea what is happening with the Durham grape buying group. The main coordinator has not responded to multiple emails, and last year's primary coordinator said he hadn't been able to contact him, either, and I haven't heard from him in 2 weeks. Hopefully they're not having anything bad happening.

So ... we're going with Plan B. I learned to have backup plans when it comes to winemaking.

Our main problem is lack of a crusher/destemmer. I can buy CA grapes from Gino PInto in Ashland VA, but have no good way to crush 16 lugs of grapes. I have a #40 press, which is a good size for the batches we make. I also have a manual crusher ... that is a whopping 10" wide. I have used it to crush grapes, but the effort necessary to crush 16 lugs with it is not something I'm interested in.

Last year I purchased Chambourcin from @VinesnBines, and she, her husband, and I crushed at her Glade Spring vineyard. After discussing it with my son and niece, we decided to go mostly with her grapes, planning to purchase 8 lugs each Chambourcin and Chelois. For the third barrel we plan to buy 2 buckets Pinot Noir from GP in Ashland to ferment with the Chambourcin/Chelois pomace. If that doesn't line up, we'll buy 3 buckets and commercial skin packs.

For Chambourcin and Chelois, we're leaning towards using all Avante, as it eats malic acid. However, I have a lot of Bravo left from the last purchase, so we may use it on some.

We will inoculate with Lalvin 31 MLB, so the need to use all Avante is low. The PN will probably be different yeast in different buckets.

Additionally, we're planning 2 carboys of Vidal and 1 of Chardonnel, and both will be fermented on the skins. I'm considering adding Lalvin 31 to both, which will require lysozyme if we decided to backsweeten.

In the past I've mentioned our "5 year plan" where we don't make the same red twice within 5 years. The 2023 Chambourcin was fermented with Avante/Bravo and aged in glass. The 2024 Chambourcin will have MLF and barrel aging, so it will be a completely different wine.

@winemaker81 Is this a good place for all of us to post our 2024 winemaking updates? I do not want to steal your thread.
I don't mind if you post here.

My threads are about learning -- me offering the means and results of my experiments, while getting feedback and ideas from others. This activity serves double-duty, as when teaching or explaining something to others requires understanding the matter being discussed. This forces me to think things through, and hopefully does the same for others.

The drawback to you posting here is that your updates may get lost in the thread. Last years Experiments threads is currently up to 6 pages, and there's been a lot of activity recently.

I re-read my first post, and the "experiments" part is 2 things:
  1. Using MLF for the first time.
  2. Fermenting Pinot Noir juice with F-A hybrid pomace.
I'm considering fermenting a small amount of both Chambourcin and Chelois separately, and saving 4 liters of each which don't get MLB. I'd like to experience the difference between the wines.

Fermenting PN juice with F-A hybrid pomace is maybe not so much an experiment, as it is a hope-n-prayer. If it doesn't turn out well, we'll have 16 gallons of cooking wine ... 🤣

I don't mind if you post here.

My threads are about learning -- me offering the means and results of my experiments, while getting feedback and ideas from others. This activity serves double-duty, as when teaching or explaining something to others requires understanding the matter being discussed. This forces me to think things through, and hopefully does the same for others.

The drawback to you posting here is that your updates may get lost in the thread. Last years Experiments threads is currently up to 6 pages, and there's been a lot of activity recently.

I re-read my first post, and the "experiments" part is 2 things:
  1. Using MLF for the first time.
  2. Fermenting Pinot Noir juice with F-A hybrid pomace.
I'm considering fermenting a small amount of both Chambourcin and Chelois separately, and saving 4 liters of each which don't get MLB. I'd like to experience the difference between the wines.

Fermenting PN juice with F-A hybrid pomace is maybe not so much an experiment, as it is a hope-n-prayer. If it doesn't turn out well, we'll have 16 gallons of cooking wine ... 🤣
Of all the F-A hybrids, Chambourcin and Chelois should be the best for “second” run or re-using the pomace. I reused Chambourcin pomace with a Cab Sav kit and it is coming along nicely. The 22 Chelois was macerated for three weeks with no off flavors so l plan to macerate the 24 Chelois at least as long or perhaps four weeks; depending on circumstances.

I have a Pinot Noir kit that I was planning to use on my Marquette but I may wait and use it on the Chambourcin and Chelois pomace. Then we can compare results.

Of all the F-A hybrids, Chambourcin and Chelois should be the best for “second” run or re-using the pomace. I reused Chambourcin pomace with a Cab Sav kit and it is coming along nicely. The 22 Chelois was macerated for three weeks with no off flavors so l plan to macerate the 24 Chelois at least as long or perhaps four weeks; depending on circumstances.

I have a Pinot Noir kit that I was planning to use on my Marquette but I may wait and use it on the Chambourcin and Chelois pomace. Then we can compare results.
My son & I have conflicting weekend travel plans, so we're figuring we'll need to do some work during weeknight evenings. It looks like there will be a gap between the Chelois and the PN buckets we are ordering -- if I let the wine macerate an additional week, that may solve the problem.

I have 1.5 liter bottles of 2023 Chambourcin, made with Avante and Bravo, respectively. I need to compare that to the blend of the two that was glass aged with oak cubes.

This fall I was thinking of using only Avante for the Chambourcin and Chelois, but since I'm using Lalvin 31, the malic acid eating ability of the Avante should be less critical. For this fall, I need to preserve a couple bottles of each grape with each yeast, and compare that with an blend that was treated with Lalvin 31.

Except ... the blend will be barrel aged. It means a lot of batches to keep track of. I may bottle 2 bottles of each at the 4-5 month mark, so they are well labeled, and do a taste test 3 months after the barrels are bottled.

A warning to all everyone making multiple batches -- label each and every container! No matter how good you believe your memory is, it's not that good.

Granted, I can usually figure out what each container is by smell and/or taste, but it's far easier to keep a roll of painter's tape and a black Sharpie handy ...

A warning to all everyone making multiple batches -- label each and every container! No matter how good you believe your memory is, it's not that good.

Granted, I can usually figure out what each container is by smell and/or taste, but it's far easier to keep a roll of painter's tape and a black Sharpie handy ...
I use a silver sharpie
; )

At the very end of the season (Sept to June for me) I get lazy and think I'll remember and inevitably forget.

Back